Cat food? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cat food?

Hi we just bought some EXPENSIVE cat food, wich I would like know if it is the right food for hedgy. Also I bought GIANT mealworms and BIG Dubia Roaches but is the Dubia Roaches to big for her? They are about the size of my index finger. I know the mealworms she can eat cause the vet gave her the ones the same size but im not sur about the Dubia Roaches.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
I Love Hedgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

Expense doesn't always reflect quality, and Royal Canin is not known for it's high quality ingredients unfortunately. The quality here is pretty poor; poultry, animal fats, maize flour and rice. I'm not too fussed over the presence of rice (though the best foods are typically grain free), but my main concern is the unspecified animal protein; "poultry" is a pretty blanket term, is it a chicken or a pigeon? Like you have no way of knowing what your animal is eating, so foods containing unspecified ingredients are best avoided.

Not to mention the fat content is insane at 25% (which isnt surprising, because added animal fats are the second ingredient). Generally speaking, you want to stay around 15% fat - active hedgehogs and younger ones can go a little over this, but I (personally) would never go over 20%, and prefer to stay around the 15-18% mark (or lower). I would suggest switching to a higher quality brand; you can find a list of foods recommended here. If you wanted further feedback, you could always pick one and then come back here and we could assess your new diet plan. As a general rule of thumb; avoid kitten foods (like the one you've picked up); because theyre for kittens, they typically have insanely high fat levels than foods marketed for adults cats.

The dubia roaches dont look insanely large to me; i've given my girl pretty large grasshoppers, and i'm always surprised she manages them - but she does! I'd say offer them and see how your hedgehog manages, but she should be okay.

Last edited by Emc; 03-28-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just gave her a Dubia Roach and she LOVED it!!!! She kept looking at me for more, it was so CUTE!!! Ok, im returning the cat food. Can you maybe send me some photos of the cat food I should buy.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there! When looking for a dry diet, you should look at the ingredient list and nutritional analysis. Depending on where you live, you may have access to various bands of food, so I generally discourage offering specific brands and limiting you. Look for foods with the first three to five listed as specific real meat ingredients: “chicken” “salmon” “turkey” “meals” etc. ingredients are listed by volume, so the higher up on the list, the more you’ll get of that ingredients. When you are looking at diets, the front of each bag should say if it’s grain free or not. Start with those that are; if you can’t find one to your satisfaction, go to ones with grain. Protein content should be about 30-35% and fat no more than 15-20%. Also look for added fiber!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

With all that said...... Is this one ok?
My hedgehog is about a year old now.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

The protein is a bit high. Although from that it seems like theres a lot of wheat and gluten products in there. Although its good its at least got chicken meal first
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Have a read of this

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...#/topics/23034

It will help you a lot more with finding a good food.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
Have a read of this

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...#/topics/23034

It will help you a lot more with finding a good food.
Great thread! I’ve not found that before, so thanks for sharing it. Though it’s lengthy, you (speaking to all reading this) should definitely give it a read even if you’re comfortable with diet and nutrition. It’s a well rounded ‘refresher’ for more experienced owners and a GREAT resource for beginners! Thanks Ria!

Last edited by Aj.t; 03-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Theres a more advanced one too

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru.../topics/114530

It goes into more detail, expands more on the first one in a lot of sections.
But you dont have to read it, its useful but a lot more wordy, but its still great to know to watch out for certain things ect.
Have a read through it if you want to, but dont feel like you have to read this one especially if your a beginner.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

As long as the cat food is for kittens, it can do the job. Honestly, my cat food was the less expensive, but since it was for kittens, it was the one with more good thing in it (sorry, I forgot the word in english for ''nutriment'' ^^')

As for the worms, I can't really help you that much, I bought hedgedog food and they already have worms in it (dry worms, but still). I saw how big they are, I would say that you should maybe look for her weight a little more than your would suppose to do to make sure they are not to big for the exercice she do.
Abby's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in