Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Weird sleeping and bathroom behaviour (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191048)

Onix93 03-25-2019 02:01 PM

Weird sleeping and bathroom behaviour

My new hedgehog has started to have some really weird bathroom behaviour. I have had her for almost three weeks and she is about 11 weeks old (so practically still a baby).
At first I had her on paper bedding in a quite small cage (she was my birthday present and my parents didn't do any research before purchasing both the cage and the hedgehog). I kept her like that for approx. 1 week until I had the money to buy her a bigger cage and some fleece bedding (I noticed she was eating paper). At the time I also bought her a cute house and some kind of a bridge made from wood plus a lot of toys. I think she really adapted fast to those changes because her poop & other habits were still normal.
I haven't had any problems until a few days ago. She has started pooping in her little house and she keeps sleeping in it. And I have to give her a bath daily because she's just filthy when she wakes up.
I haven't changed her food/water or cage location. The temperature in her cage is ok and she's still active as usual during the night.
I live in a country where hedgehogs aren't really popular and it's quite difficult to find information about them. Or vets.
I know frequent bathing can dry their skin so is there anything I can do? Is it something I have done wrong? Is this a baby hedgie 'thing'?
I've been reading other similar topics but I really wasn't able to find an answer on ly own.
Thank you in advance (and sorry for my English)

Ria 03-25-2019 02:11 PM

Some hedgehogs do just do it. Did the position of things move around the cage ?? Like was her litter tray where her little house is now ?? That could cause this.
Not sure what else might, I think some babies do it though.

Onix93 03-25-2019 02:43 PM

No, nothing changed. I kept everything the way she's used to it. Maybe it's just a phase and she'll get over it.
Thank you so much for your answer!!

Starshinepunk 03-25-2019 02:55 PM

Does she poo anywhere else in the cage? If so, maybe try moving her litter tray where her house is and her house somewhere else.
I’m a new hedgie owner and haven’t experienced this with Pugsley, but when I had rabbits and they did this is basically meant that this is where THEY chose to have their litter box and no arguing (expecting a change) would help until you finally just moved their box.
Hopefully someone more experienced has better advice for you.

Ria 03-25-2019 03:12 PM

You could try that. Or you can try moving the poos to her litter box telling her thats the pace she should be doing it. Either one should work okay. Unless its because she doesnt like the fleece as from what you've saod thats all thats changed.

Onix93 03-25-2019 04:23 PM

At first she only pooped in a corner (which is opposite to where her house is) so I started litter training her and it worked...until it didn't. Now she poops everywhere :))
I guess I'll try changing things around and if that doesn't work I'll get rid of the fleece and get another bedding (hopefully she won't try to eat it).
She's also a digger and a climber and I tried giving her a box filled with fleece strips but she's ignoring it.

Ria 03-25-2019 04:31 PM

Try putting a plike of fleece strips in the middle of the cagw rather than in a box might get more luck.

Shredded cardbaord that has been treated and dust extracted is a good bedding its also known as finacard in some places and softa card in other places. But its all animal safe shredded cardboard. I havent heard of a hedgehog eating it.

Onix93 03-25-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ria (Post 1070856)
Try putting a plike of fleece strips in the middle of the cagw rather than in a box might get more luck.

Shredded cardbaord that has been treated and dust extracted is a good bedding its also known as finacard in some places and softa card in other places. But its all animal safe shredded cardboard. I havent heard of a hedgehog eating it.

Thank you, I'll try to find some!

Ria 03-25-2019 05:21 PM

Holly loves it, I put less around her foor, water and hide, and then use a lot after that going up the end where she burrows around. I dont think I have a picture to show you though.
She also loves climbing onto the top of her hide, and anywhere she can but the more toys I add the less she tries climbing. Shes got so many toys now😂

Onix93 03-25-2019 05:39 PM

Yeah, Hedwig also has a lot of toys 😂 but still tries to climb everywhere