Bonding time and bathroom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bonding time and bathroom

I see lots of people posting about bonding time, having hedgie walk on their bed, using snuggle stuff to carry them around, etc. My question: how often to does your hedgie get poop/pee on your or your stuff during this time? We don't have snuggle bonding time because of this. We have a fleece blanket that we put on the floor, put the 'playpen' around it, put his wheel, food, water, and toys, and watch him play.
Thanks
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi!

Twiggy usually doesn't pee or poo in her snuggle sack but her feet tracks the poop in sometimes. Running on her wheel, her feet sometimes get poopy and it gets on anything she walks on. So, there is usually some traces of poop on her sack within a few days. Honestly, I have bought about 6 snuggle sacks for this reason. I will switch out her sack and cage liner every week but when I notice her snuggle sack has poop on it, I take it out and switch for a clean one as needed.
Same goes for when she is out playing in her playpen. I put a sheet down with her playpen and she always pees or poos. It never fails. I just have to have a back up sheet/blanket until I can wash the other.
Sometimes she pees or poops on the couch which is a pain. So, I try to always have a blanket underneath her when she is exploring. She's been getting better with not pooping/peeing and I've been getting better at preventing it getting on the couch. But she is going to do what she does!
I've come to accept that she is going to poop or pee on stuff so I try to be prepared and have back up blankets and snuggle sacks on hand.
JeaNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

It’s going to be inevitable; they’ll eventually pee or poop in inconvenient places. But, I’ve noticed cues from Christina. When she starts getting really active and comes out of her sack to run around, she’s probably gonna start peeing. And rather than her peeing on my 100$ weighted blanket, I just put her back into her house for a bit and let her do her thang haha
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

I've found that how likely she's going to go to the bathroom largely depends on what time of day we take her out; the later, the more likely you're going to be used as a litter tray - at least thats how it's been for Coco. There are generally signs though; our Coco also gets more active and more awake - and that's our cue that a quick bathroom break is needed haha.

I've been pooped on once in the almost 5 months that I've had her, and she's had only a small handful of accidents in her snuggle sack - because we've learned to give her a break in between long bonding sessions, and to wait a few minutes before taking her out when she's more active at night time and that rule has generally served us well.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

We found that if we have her out at the same time every night after she has had 2 hours of dark awake time we have no accidents. As for dirty feet they get checked when I pic her out of her pen and see if they need washing. She is very timely. If your to early poop happens.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I’ve found that when I let Pugsley run around on my bed if I take his corner or wheel litter tray out for him to use he will go in that but he’s also a very clean hedgie. I also put one of his blankets over my bed so if he has an accident it’s on that and easy to wash
Starshinepunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to let him run around in the playpen for a bit (usually doesn't take long before he goes to the bathroom), then once he starts to slow down, we'll snuggle.

I also should make a double thickness snuggle sack/blanket. My kids get squirmy when they feel his spines
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Eventually after awhile your hedgie will have to go poo/pee, but they don’t usually have many accidents (Theodore doesn’t really have accidents) If you take them out around the same time, they usually won’t have accidents, and if you don’t have them out for too long, then you shouldn’t have many accidents. If you’re worried about accidents, the put a towel/old blanket on your bed just in case. Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in