Adding another hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding another hedgehog

Hi guys. In my search for a hedgehog, I had contacted a breeder who recommended I get two females since we were set on getting a female hedgehog. That was not in our budget at the time we put a deposit on our very first hedgie. But now I am wondering, if we do decide to add a second female to our family, can I keep the new hedgie in the same cage as our current? Or will they fight?
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Hedgehogs are solitary animals by nature; it shouldn’t be recommended that they need a friend. With that being said, some people have housed two females that grew up in the same litter together and had no problems. A lot of times, however, they do start to pick on each other and have been known to fight.
I would say since you’re such a new hedgehog owner, stuck with one. It will be financially easier for you, but you’ll also be able to more fully understand their needs and care. If you do decide to get another girl, and she didn’t come from the same litter or even breeder as your girl now, I wouldn’t recommend trying to house them together.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

People only house two siblings or a mother and daughter together. And thats only if they get on so well with each other, or if they stop eating/wheeing and that when they are sperated.

As said if they arent related and arent even from the same breeder then dont house them together, not only can they fight but one could bully the other out of food you then end up with 1 overweight hog and 1 underweight/starved hog.

I'd stick with one for now and learn more about their care and that before thinking of getting a second.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. The breeder had me worried that my female would be lonely without a friend. I'm not sure why she would recommend that to me, she's supposed to be one of the top breeders here. Seems to me like she was just trying to make more money then. I won't bother getting another then, and will just concerned grate on our new baby. Thanks again!
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Some breeders are like that, they mainly try it with new owners , its wrong, but doesnt stop even then best breeders in the area.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

In the wild hedgehogs are solitary animals. Sounds like what you said, that the breeder is just trying to get more money. That would make me question whether I wanted to continue to do business with that breeder.
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in