Best bedding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best bedding

What’s the best bedding for hedgehogs in your opinion and why?
stormi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I like animal safe shredded cardboard (finacard) as it allows naturall burrowing, doesnt produce much to any dust, and I can throw it away, rather than makeing sure I've washed the fleece. And a lot of peope say they have to change fleece once a week, where as the carboard I'm only havinf change every 3-4 weeks (but Holly is pretty clean so that helps haha) I do use fleece strips in her hide through the winter though although still lets her have freedome of having it how she wants

I will always prefer the finacard over other things though.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

I like fleece; It's cozy, easy to clean, mess free, and depending on how you do it, it still allows them to snuggle down and burrow. I don't find myself having to clean fleece frequently at all - I wash them once a month (and honestly they never look or smell like they even need it)- but again, I also have a clean hog who is pretty much fully litter trained (I use wood pellets in her litter trays, and I clean that twice a week).

I use the guineadad cage liners, with a built in pocket so she can hide under and it discourages her from trying to hide under the actual liner itself (which she's never done, because she loves her pocket so much). I also have a loose fleece blanket that I just place in a pile under her heat lamp, which is her other usual go-to napping spot - leaving it loose/piled up allows her to snuggle/burrow in till her hearts content.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there! I’ve used wood pellets, aspen shavings, and fleece. Fleece is my number one due to the ease of cleaning, reduction of waste, and ADORABLE fabrics I can make liners out of. I use a liner for two weeks, not out of cleanliness, but out of simply routine maintenance. I use one side then flip it the next week, and I’ve made enough liners that I don’t have to worry about washing them right away (even if that does make me a little lazy haha). Aspen was just too messy for me, and it got stuck in her quills too often. I liked the pellets, but opted against it ultimately because it didn’t seem like it was completely comfortable!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use white carefresh bedding for my little girl because it's easy to keep clean, it's easy for her to burrow and dig in, and it's white, so I can see her poop and make sure it's healthy looking (not discoloured or anything). In my opinion, it's a great type of bedding, but the only problem is, is that it's slightly overpriced.

NougatTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use fleece liners with an absorbent core. It makes Cage cleaning easier. I've used carefresh in the past but it was messy. She gets fleece scraps for her igloo so she can burrow.
BatmanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

My girl came with wood shavings, which I discarded within a week after seeing how much she sneezed and they poked her. I have done fleece liners, but my personal favorite is paper bedding like care fresh or critter care. I dont use colors though, so I can check for blood and any other signs of illness easier. I spot clean too. My hedge has self litter trained herself to only go on a fleece square in the corner (on top of some care fresh) so that helps.
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in