Baths and clipping nails - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baths and clipping nails

Hey guys,
I’ve got my hedgehog Theodore late December (today’s he’s 4 months old) and I’ve read that clipping their nails in the bath is the best way to go (as he won’t ball up and he hates anything holding his legs). The problem is, whenever I hold him, it takes about 20-30 minutes for him to unball if he will at all, as he’s always awake when I get him up, and he’s been very grumpy lately. What do I do if I can’t get him to unball? Is there any tricks to waking them up? What if he balls when I try cutting his nails? Do I take him out of the bath? Any advice on this would be helpful as I’m a new hedgie mom and have never done this before.
Thank you!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Nail trimming is easier in foot baths for most people if your hog doesnt mind them anyway. Its better in just water too. But cutting them when they are freshly cleaned is easier too anyway. If they ball up in the water take them out dry them and try a differnt way the next day
I hold Holly to my chest with her quills against me, and slip feet between my fingers on a good day I get all nails on one foot done, most times takes me a week to get them all done sometimes longer sometimes less.
But she wont ball up with my hand on her stomach area
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey there! A lot of owners recommend trims in the bath as, like you said, they tend to be less inclined to ball up, but also cause their nails are softer. With that being said, it’s easier to quick them since you can’t tell as easy how far you’re cutting, so if your guy is v squirmy, I would take it with caution. I usually just let Christina run around my bed, then slide a finger under each foot until I can get a good hold on the foot.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some tips for getting a stubborn hog to unball are: holding them with their head end on a slightly downward angle, as if they were going down a hill. You can add gently bouncing to this. Best to do over a bed for safety and very gently, bouncing a few inches up and down, not shaking. They will often unball to see what’s going on. A good way to do nails when not in a bath is if you let them walk on your hands, try and get a leg to fall through your fingers then you can gently trap it. That’s a trick that sometimes works for me anyways. Hope this helps!
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in