Switched food, weird poop? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switched food, weird poop?

My hedgie is about 6 months old. About 2 days ago, I switched him to a new kibble. He was eating the Hedgehog Diet dry food but I switched him to the Rachel Ray Nutrish dry cat food. Its macronutrient percentages are very similar to his old food. I originally tried mixing the old food and new food to get him used to it, but he likes the new food so much that he would just leave the pieces of the old food in the bowl completely untouched. He did the same thing again today. I have noticed that he’s still pooping, but it’s a bit less. It’s coming out in slightly smaller pieces and it seems to be a bit darker. I know switching foods is an adjustment for him, but when should he be back to normal? How do I know when to worry
BaileyDriskill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Good job trying to mix the food; it’s definitely less stressful on the hedgie to switch slowly. With that being said, if your hedgie ends up favoring the new over the old right off the bat, there’s not too much to worry about on that note. As far as the poop goes, I would be more concerned if it was a greensish color. The diet should definitely be high protein (30-35%) and fairly low fat (10-20%) which should ease the poop color. Just make sure it’s still somewhat moist- not completely dry, but also not totally runny.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

You should still switch slowly regardless if they favourite the new food, because loosing that old food too fast can still cause them to just not eat anything and then you have to syringe feed.
Anyway back to the question, whe changing the food poo can change colours slightly, personally I wouldnt worry about it turning a slightly darker colour, i'd be more concered it turned green - which happens with new things tastes, smells and upset stomachs wait until you have completly taken taken him off the old food and see what happens to his poo. It should sort itself
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in