Sleeping more - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping more

Hi,

Weíve had Holly since October, she is now 8 months old. She was a very active hedge and spent most of her night on her wheel.

We exchanged her cage for a viv in January and since then she has taken to sleeping up to 18 hours a day. She also appears to enjoy liner diving which she never used to do.

Is this a sign of a happy hedgie or is she trying to tell me something?

We have played with the temperature and it makes no difference itís itís warmer or cooler, we have tried the whole range from 22oc - 25oc.

She is eating and drinking well and pooping fine. Nails are trimmed. She still uses the wheel, mostly when she first wakes and a little in the night. We have a camera with movement sensor so I know what she has and hasnít been up to. Her light schedule is 6am - 6pm.

I feel like Iím missing something.

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance
Hollys helper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

My girl is called Holly too !!

Anyway she likes it at 26oc thats when shes most active. I had the same thing when I moved Holly from a cage to the viv, she was less active (i dont use fleece tho so I didnt get liner diving) but I just kept fiddling with the temp till I found the one she liked the most.
Her cage stays at 25.6-26

A lot of hedgehogs on fleece do end up liner diving, as naturally they like burrowing and digging, I wouldnt really worry, you could try adding a dig box or forage tray to the viv give her a differnt place to dig around in.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holly is a good name.

We have puppy pads with a fleece blanket over the top as I thought it seems cosier burying under the fleece then the puppy pads but it’s not made a difference.

She has a small dog box, she checks it out, eats whatever she finds then goes back to bed. Sometimes she will sit in it for a while. I bought a bigger dig box but she won’t use it, just stands in it and looks at me, so it’s in her playpen while she gets used to it.

I’ve wondered if she is protesting against the viv and preferred the cage! Maybe I’ll have another play with temperature and see if it makes a difference.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our little one changes her sleeping spots every so often. Some times in her house for a week or so then a couple days under the fleece ,then maybe a day or two under the wheel pan or in one of the tunnels. I think it is a trait from the wild to change sleeping spots to confuse predators.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Did you change where things where ?? Like her wheel, in Holly's cage I had it at the end opposite her bed, and I put it in the same place when I swapped her to the viv. I also put her bed and food and water in the same sorta place they were in the cage, the only real things that moved where toys and tunnels, I also had a lot of things that smelt like her and me in the new viv to make it easier to settle into. Maybe try moving things to where they used to be ?? I'd also have a little fiddle with temp and put it up a little might help it wont do any harm
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hadnít thought that the change in sleeping place was tactical. As long as she doesnít chew the puppy pads I donít mind where she sleeps.

The layout of the viv is an almost exact replica of the cage. We took one tunnel out as she didnít go near it for a few weeks even though it had been her favourite and had our tshirts in it. But taking it out made room for the dig box. We have tried putting the tunnel back in but she ignores it so it donít think she is missing it.

The only thing that is different really is the fleece blanket over the puppy pads which I did as when I put a normal liner in she wonít get up at all, I assume she doesnít like them being slightly padded. We had to take padding out of beds awell as she doesnít like that either. She likes a firm base. She seems to be tolerating the blanket on the pads as she hasnít been any less active since I did that Sunday.

I turned the heat up a little last night so it was hovering around 23.5-24 and she was up less often but when she was up it was longer (1.5 hours instead of 30 mins). But she also had a nap in the open by her food bowls. Iím going to turn it up slowly over a few days and see if there are any changes to her activity.

Is the sleepiness normal or should I be expecting her to be a little more active?

Thank you for all you help.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

They do sleep a lot to be fair, and the younger they are the more they sleep too. But if she was very active before and now shes not its probably from being a bit too cool not cold enough for hibernating jut a bit too cool that she just doesnt want to be as active. Once you find that temp that she likes, remember it and dont change it.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Iíll see what happens with the heat, thank you for your help
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Has the nite time light amount changed any with the new pen? Ours is less active if we have a full moon and don't close the window blinds.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

what's viv?
felonius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in