College - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Askeptosaurus
  • 1 Post By Askeptosaurus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default College

So recently went to the doctor and was able to receive my doctor's letter of recommendation to have Flower live with me in my college dorm. I move out in August and was wondering what would be a smooth way to move her? Is she going to be scared in a new environment? I'm not entirely sure if I'll be having a roommate or not yet but I don't want to impose or inconvenient my roommate with Flower if I do have a roommate. Any advice? Flower is well behaved rather than being a grump, but she won't poo or pee anywhere but the left side of her cage. She hisses and pops when she's woken up, normal hedgie behavior, but I don't want my hedgie to cause any problems with my living situation at college. All advice is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190206_142605_1549831294305.jpg (86.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20190208_181343_1549831310169.jpg (84.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20190206_142803_1549831334812.jpg (82.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20190119_230533_1549831378208.jpg (98.4 KB, 21 views)
FullMetalMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are typically quiet pets and their hissing and pooping isn’t loud so that won’t be much of a problem. Hedgehogs don’t care much about what’s around them. Rather, they care what’s in their cage. If her cage is arranged the same way, she probably won’t be overwhelmed as she is used to that environment. If she isn’t adapting right away, then just give her some time and she will get used to it (I doubt that she would feel that way though.) However, I have never moved my hedgehog into a new place or area before as I am a new hedgehog owner. I am giving this information based on research.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

The bet way to do it would be when you move make sure theres stuff in the cage smelling of you and her, the new smell of the doorm might un settle her for a little as she wont be used to it and new smells can un settle them a bit. So keep famiarlar scents as much as possible in her cage, and keep everything where it was before you moved.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would recommend just trying to keep things as consistent as possible. She might get a little stressed out about new smells so just try to keep everything in her cage the same. Another note though, while hedgehogs are quiet during the day they aren't at night. If you did get a roommate, would you be staying in different rooms? Because with most dorms I have seen, there are multiple people to a room and since flower will probably be in the same room you sleep in it might bug another roommate. Just something to consider 😊
Stella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Speaking from experience, hedgehogs can get frightened when changing environments. Loud noise or frequent noise may set them off. Lighting really comes to mind, if your roommate keep different hours and is up studying all night with a light, your hedge may be too timid to go out and eat and wheel. Mine isnt she does what she wants when she wants, but I chalk that up to being an old lady. I would see if your school allows you to select roommates or at least exchange info and chat a bit to see if this will work. I wouldnt want someone irresponsible or disrespectful to the rules/boundaries I have set with my pet either. Keeping the cage, food and scent the same are key as others said too. If she hasn't traveled since you got her, she may get car sick like my girl. But be fine upon arrival.
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, I'm gonna be a total downer here because unless you have your own room separate from your roommate all I can see are problems. For example, are you planning to ever have parties in your room because I can see the noise from drinking partyers, pot smoke, and loud music all stressing her out. And even if you don't do all that, your roommate might and it's a bit of a dick move to just declare no parties in the room because you brought a pet. Also remember that hedgehogs need very specific heating conditions that range on the hotter side. It would be cruel to her if it was colder than that and again, kind of a dick move to force a new roommate to have to live in that if they found it too hot. And what if it gets too hot in the summer? No dorm that I've ever been in has had air conditioning.
Your roommate might also have their own lighting schedule. In my sophomore year, my roommate stayed up way later than me and we had a compromise where he could keep his desk lamp on but not the main light, could your baby handle that and still come out for food and exercise at night? And that gets even worse come exam time. You or your roommate might be pulling all-nighters and the lights will never go out. And since you're not at home anymore when you're away there'll be no one watching Flower in case something goes wrong. Will you be okay with that? 'cause even if you decide never to attend events, parties, sleepovers, or join any clubs, you're definitely going to have to go to class and at some point expect to spend time with other classmates for group projects. And unless you're going to a fundamentalist religious school, your roommate's gonna want to lock you out whenever they get laid.
Flower doesn't really have much room to compromise on her needs and I would REALLY not expect anyone you room with to just let you take total control of the room for her. If you can't get her a stable environment that you have control of you may just have to leave her at home.
nikki likes this.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

If personally if someone doesnt want parties why should anyone have to let the other person who may want to have parties have them regardless ?? Its unfair if the other person cant respect that that you doesnt want parties regardless of the pet.

Also the cage can easily be covered to block out light, and eventually they get used to certain noises around the room.

Heating is easy you dont have to heat the whole room, you can buy che set ups for the cages which only affect the cage so the roommate wouldn't have a problem with it being too hot and the hedgehog wouldn't get too cold as long as you have a che on a thermostat.

Also Its easy to talk to your roomate just tell them if they wanna get laid then they can do it elsewhere else, I sure as **** would find it unfair to be locked out my room just cause my roomate wanted to get laid, again this is regardless of the hedgehog.

To be honest all these points seem totally fixable or unfair regardless of the pet

I can see feeding insects an issue tho. Which no one else has considered. If your room mate doesnt like insecst that would be unfair to have them live or dead.

Dont get me wrong I totally understand why you want to take flower with you, as then you can still bond and that, but maybe sleep with a load of fleece you can cut into strips and leave in zip bags or something like that then get whoever is as home to change that weekly so that your scent would still always be around flower's cage, this way in way she is still bonding with you, but when you get back there wont be a mood change in her and she'll still remember your smell - unless ofcourse you change in smell from when you left to when you go back.
Things might be more consistant this way too and less stressful for flower and you.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree that Flower would probably be better off at your own house. My mom took care of my brother’s birds and bearded dragon when he was in college.

But, I think Flower could actually be good for a college life style though. Hedgehogs don’t need much attention and you can bond with her whilst studying or doing assignments. You can cover up her cage with a small blanket to prevent light from coming in. You don’t need to heat the whole room and can just use a CHE set up to heat her cage. The noise isn’t much of an issue at all actually. Hedgehogs get used to noise pretty fast. My hedgehog isn’t bothered AT ALL by noise. I’m actually able to vacuum in the cage whilst he is in there because he doesn’t even notice. If insects are problematic for your roommate, then you can just keep it away from him/her. And don’t worry about being locked out because most people have keys. I hope this helps. 🙂

Obviously, if you don’t have a roommate, you don’t have to worry about any of this and can just do everything how you would normally do it lol.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure if that poster has ever had a roommate because none of these are unfair and just declaring that you get full control of the room is. Remember this isn't just your room, it's yours and your roommate's equally. It's equally unfair to lock someone out of their room for sex as it is declare that you can't have sex in your own room because they don't want to give up the time. It's equally unfair to say you're not going to let your roommate have parties in their own room as it is for your roommate to always have parties when you need your room to be quiet. These are common compromises with roommates and you can't just decide that it's disrespectful when your roommate has wants that are counter to yours. That's why I think this is such a risk. A lot of the considerations for a hedgehog are needs not wants and don't have a lot of wiggle room for compromise. But as the owner, you agreed to put your wants under your pet's needs. Your new roommate didn't and it's not fair to tell someone else "you didn't agree to this pet but you have to sacrifice your wants for its needs anyways." THAT's unfair and if that's what you expect it's going to breed resentment and conflict.

Maybe you'll get lucky and you won't have a roommate, maybe you'll get lucky and you'll have an absentee roommate who's never in the room anyway, or a chill roommate that's easy to talk to and compromise with. But the odds are still high that everything I mentioned might come up and become a source of conflict so it's important to think them through ahead of time and have a backup plan ready just in case of emergency.
nikki likes this.

Last edited by Askeptosaurus; 02-23-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Decided the spacing would help prioritize some information in a possibly Tl;dr post
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in