Shavings getting everywhere!!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shavings getting everywhere!!!!!

Hey! So I’ve had my boy, Theodore for a month and a half and this is my first hedgie! I use wood shavings for in his cage. The problem is, they get EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! They always stick to my clothes which is kind of annoying and they get all over the house. Is there anyway to prevent this or is this just what happens with wood shavings?
Thanks!!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! I know exactly where you’ve been. My first hedgehog started out with wood shavings, but I too quickly found out that they got everywhere. Honestly, the best way to help the problem is to switch to either compressed wood pellets (which can get pretty pricy) or go the fleece route, which many hedgie owners will tell you. You can find fleece liners all over the web, but they too tend to be overly pricy, so my advice would be to make your own! But some fun pattern no-pill fleece and water absorbent pads (I use Uhaul brand moving pads), fold a pad in between two layers of fleece, and sew it shut! This way, you can wash and reuse all of your liners- saves money and resources! If you prefer wood shavings and can live with the trail of shavings, go for it. But if you want a cost effective, cleaner option, opt for fleece.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

Fleece liners are pratic and many owners love them. However they deprive the hedgehog of burrowing, which means you then needs to add a dig box to allow natural behaviour, however you will find that they still liner dive.
Woodshavings aren't great as a bedding either, as gets everywhere, can cause other problems if theres one or two sharp ones that get put in.
I have never heard of compressed wood pellets being used as bedding, I have heard of them being used as liter though.
Animal safe dust free shreedded cardboard (finacard) its a great loose bedding and will only get everywhere if you pick it up, or your hog wants to bring its bedding along with it. I use feece strips in the hide, to make it a bit warmer in the winter. Its a reasonable price for what you get, always comes in large amounts, fleece strips are easy to make your slef using anti pill fleece.
Another loose bedding is carefresh, however like woodshavings it can get every where. A lot of people use it more for litter, or dig boxes. It can also work out expensive when using for bedding, but not so much for litter or dig boxes.
There are some people who go for a mor natural style with theirs, and use soil (brought from a reptile shop and safe for hogs) most mix it with a bit of sand (again brought from specific places and hog safe), and some others dont. They use a plastic sheet thing, that goes up the sides, makes it easier for not going everywhere. Price wise I'm not all to sure.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I saw online there was some animal safe paper type bedding, would that be good for hedgies or no? Also, at first he had a towel to line, but as he refuses to litter train and uses the box as a dig box, and the towel would smell so bad thanks to him peeing all over it (he lives in my room) Would the same thing happen with fleece or no?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Yea the same thing would happen with the fleece as to the towl. By paper bedding do you mean something like whats in the picture ?? Or like paper shavings ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A922D192-0448-4C48-9CD2-D9615A7C8F2D_1549640174976.jpeg (83.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Honestly, the best way to help the problem is to switch to either compressed wood pellets (which can get pretty pricy) or go the fleece route, which many hedgie owners will tell you.
Not sure where you're seeing/getting wood pellets, but they are actually quite cheap -- unless you get them from a pet store. I use them for my rabbit's litter because they are so cheap. From a hardware store, a 40lb bag only cost $4- $7. (Price varies depending on where you live)

For my hedgehog, I use the wood pellets in a tray under the wheel. The rest of the cage is fleece. I also have a dig box made of fleece which you can see in the attached photo.

@Ria, You were correct about my "dig box." Mecki has chosen it as his spot for sleeping during the day.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 05-11-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
Yea the same thing would happen with the fleece as to the towl. By paper bedding do you mean something like whats in the picture ?? Or like paper shavings ??
That’s actually exactly what I was talking about. Is that safe for hedgehogs? Would Theodore try to eat it if I gave it to him? (He’s tried to eat other things I’ve given him)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Mecki I can't not laugh at this!! At least you know he likes it in there!!

Yes that is safe for hedgehogs - Its similar to the care fresh bedding I mentioned.
I very much doubt that Theodore will try to eat it, he will sniff it, possibly lick it the first time but they explore with smell and taste mostly, I wouldn't worry about him eating it really even hedgehogs that are known for trying to eat everything don't try eating that sorta stuff

Last edited by Ria; 02-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgielover411 View Post
the towel would smell so bad thanks to him peeing all over it (he lives in my room) Would the same thing happen with fleece or no?
Not exactly. The idea with fleece is that it wicks moisture. It is the opposite of what a towel does which is absorbs moisture. Fleece allows the urine to go through the fabric to an absorbent material below. The fleece stays dry and it takes a while before the odor in the absorbent material below gets smelly. When it does, it just gets washed.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

@Ria Okay, that’s good to know. Maybe I’ll try that as it would be easier to pick up off my floor (I have carpet so I can’t just sweep it up) The only reason I was concerned about it was that I gave Theodore something that was that seemed somewhat similar and it looked like he was trying to eat it, and almost did eat some so I thought he might do the same.

@Mecki That makes sense that it wouldn’t smell so bad (thank you aj.t for the tip). If the paper bedding doesn’t work out then that seems like a good alternative. Also you have a rabbit? I have a rabbit too!!! I thought that was a fun coincidence, since I’ve never known of anyone else with a rabbit and a hedgehog

Thank you to everyone for your advice! I’ll try out different things to see which one works best!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in