Hedgehog eating paper towel - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog eating paper towel

Hey all! Our hedgie is about 8 months old and for most of his life we’ve put a papertowel in the litter pan under his wheel. Well lately he’s decided to take it out and start eating it. He’s done it 3 times now but it’s not consecutive nights in a row. Any thoughts? Advice? I’m worried if I put yesterday’s news in that he will eat that too and I won’t be able to tell
Hartyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Hedgies are very mouth curious animals, and could quite possibly be into eating the paper. I would recommend taking the paper out all together; either leave the pan bare or use some non clumping cat litter. Never have I personally met a hedgie that enjoys litter!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgehogs don’t really have a great eyesight, so they’re main ways of exploring are through tasting and smelling. Your hedgie is probably just exploring. Since this is an issue I’d take out the paper towel and use kitty litter (non-clumping, dust free) instead. Hope this helps!

Good luck!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

We use paper towels to and have found that if we change brands she will chew a little piece once in a while. Maybe they smell different and she anoints with the new smell ,I don't know for sure but she doesn't do it much or often.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Yesterday's news the cat litter ?? He wont eat that. He will give it a good sniff possibly lick it the first time, but as long you put it in with hands not smelling like food he wont actually eat it. OH and you can tell if the have tried to, you see little chew marks. Holly used to eat the wood pellet litter the breeder gave me, I once saw her, and always saw bite marks where she had been chewing, but hasn't tried with this one.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Kitty litter, even the non clumping, should never be used for hedgehogs. It can become lodged in the genitals and cause a lot of health issues.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

In reply to Nikki's post, it's true. It happened to my boy when I had cat litter as his bedding. Gosh I got so terrified. I switched to fleece as soon as possible, luckily it didn't seem to affect him in a long lasting way. I still get sick to the stomach thinking about it.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I fill a tray with Yesterday's News with a paper towel lining the bottom. Back when I had HeijiSan she would physically dig it out and drag it somewhere else. I guess it was fun? Anyways, if they're just chewing it no worries. If by "eating" you actually mean eating then yeah, don't let that continue.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Kitty litter, even the non clumping, should never be used for hedgehogs. It can become lodged in the genitals and cause a lot of health issues.
I read that cat litter is only an issue when you use it as bedding, but using it in a litter tray is fine. Is that true?
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Cat litter pellets are fine to use as litter. The other cat litters as litter or bedding, clumping or not aren't good, they can get stuck in gentals especially boys which can be painful for them and can also mean vet visits.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in