C&C Cage help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belties

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default C&C Cage help

I am planning on bringing home my baby hedgie and I have made a spacious, 2 level C&C cage! I am worried about a few things though.

First: It's not too big for her, right? Its 42x28

Second: I've read that it's possible she can climb up the cage and I don't want her to squeeze through them. My boyfriend and I decided to line the cage with Plexiglass but that's pretty expensive. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Third: How are you guys connecting them together? I don't like the connectors because they are awkward and zip ties pull it together too much!

Thanks in advance
lbxo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can use coroplast to line the sides -- at least partway up. It doesn't have to cover the whole side from bottom to top. It actually shouldn't be covered all the way to the top or you may end up with a tank effect with inadequate ventilation. Of course it won't be transparent.

The connectors are not great and tend to pop off. Zip ties are best. Nothing wrong with the grids being tight together, though you could just not tighten them so much. Making them tight will make the cage more sturdy -- especially if you have an upper level. I've made these cages for rabbits and always snug the grids tight with zip ties -- works just fine.

For the size, I was told to be sure to have plenty of "stuff" in the cage so that there isn't too much open space. Put plenty of toys, tunnels, hideys, etc. so that the cage is more full.

Here's a photo of my (one level) cage that is about the same size as yours (24" x 48"). It shows how it is filled with "stuff." (Note: photo was before I got my hedgehog so there isn't litter yet under the wheel or food in the bowls.)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 05-11-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Personally, I use connectors and zip ties for my cage. The connectors aren’t that secure so using zip ties as well makes it very sturdy. There’s nothing wrong with the zip ties bringing the grids together too tightly.

Your cage is a large size, but as long as it is VERY filled up, it won’t be much of a problem. However, every hedgehog is different. Also, I should warn you that some hedgehogs don’t tend to use second floors. If you want to try it, you can... just don’t put anything of importance up there as your hedgehog might not climb up there to use them. Make sure your ramp is closed off as hedgehogs have bad vision and may fall of while climbing. If you do see your hedgehog’s using the second floor, then it is fine to keep items go importance up there. Just experiment a little bit with it.

Instead of pixie glass, you can use coroplast. If that is too expensive for you, then linoleum is a cheaper option.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Remember that there is a chance your hedgehog may not use the upper level so make sure she has access to everything it needs on the lower level.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might consider coroplast on the sides and back and plexiglass on the front for veiwing.
Mecki likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c, c&c cage, cage, climbing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in