Hedgehog jumping around snuggle sack - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra
  • 1 Post By BaileyDriskill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog jumping around snuggle sack

I got my hedgie, Hoggle, when he was around 8 weeks old. I’ve had him now for about 2 months. After the first couple weeks of having him, he warmed up to me pretty quickly and has been super sweet, loving to be help and cuddled ever since. Tonight, I was holding him in his snuggle sack on my lap and he started jumping around from corner to corner, almost as if something was biting him or irritating him. I tried to look him over to be sure he didn’t have a quill poking him or anything and I didn’t see anything. He hasn’t shown any signs of mites or anything like that. He wasn’t huffing or spiking, just jumping around and seeming irritated. Could this be due to quilling? I put him back in his cage and he’s seemed fine ever since. I’m just kind of freaked out. Any comments are greatly appreciated!
BaileyDriskill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Is his snggle sack too small for him ?? Or too big ??
I know with Holly she likes hers so she literally fits perfectly laying flat, not loads of extra space inside, but not so she cant move or wriggle. When she was in one that was too tight, she wpuld jump around, same as when it was too big.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don’t think it’s a matter of size because he’s been in the same sack for a month now and has always seemed to love it. Last night was the first time I’ve ever seen him do anything like this. The only other thing I can figure is that I may have had some Vaseline left on my hands and it could have smelled funny to him? It’s unscented and I can’t smell it but I know they’re very sensitive to smells.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

If its un scented then it shouldnt effect him smell wise.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
If its un scented then it shouldnt effect him smell wise.
Going to disagree with you there. Unscented just means that it hasn't had any additional scent added, it doesn't mean its is completely odorless.

To the OP, if you had Vaseline on your hands and got some on your hedgehog it could have very well been the cause of the upset. It may have smelled weird to him and since he couldn't get away from it he was jumpy. I've seen it happen with Vaseline, and even nipple cream in the past. Its one of those items they recommend to treat overly dry ears, but you have to do a 'test run' with it to see how a hedgehog will respond before applying it to them as they can become very distraught from it.

How is he today? Also check the back to ensure there isn't a tiny quill lodged in a corner that could be poking him. Sometimes that is enough.

I've seen lots of oddness over the many years I've had hedgehogs. I've seen even something like a weather change cause a perfectly content hedgehog to become jumpy.

If the jumpiness continues though, you may need to consider a veterinary visit as it could be that your hedgehog has something going on. I once had one that would be standing perfectly still, jump up, turn sideways and dart off. She had ear mites. No other indication of them, other than her jumpiness.
nikki and SquirtleSquirt like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for your responses! Hoggle seems much better today. He was happy and inquisitive as usual. I washed the snuggle sack to be safe and he seems content in it now. He hasn’t jumped at all and I had him out for about an hour tonight. I’m hoping it was just the Vaseline residue. Thank you all!
fluffy's mom likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in