My hedgehog bit my other hedgehog - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog bit my other hedgehog

My friend and I where playing with my two hedgehogs and my female hedgehog went over to my male hedgehog and bit him. I was trying to keep them separate. My male hedgehog is not bleeding or anything. I am going to breed them soon hopefully. Do i still breed them if my female hedgehog bit him? Does any body know why she bit him? I have never put them to together before. I need a answer as soon as possable!
Myloveforhedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My hedgehog bit my other hedgehog

You said you're a new hedgehog owner, I would not try to breed that soon, I'd keep them totally separated. Are you hedgies related, do they have pedigree? Are you prepared to the ups and down of breeding? Do you have a mentor that can help you?

Breeders might chime in with other question toughts.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

No my hedgehogs aren't related. No nether of them have a pedigree but i got them from two different people so they aren't related. Yes i am prepared for the ups and downs of breeding. I have read alot about hedgehogs and are getting two books online about hedgehogs. Yes i have a friend online that can help me. Thank you for your quick reply
Myloveforhedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

So you don't know if WHS runs in their lines. Just because you got them from two different people does not mean they are not related. Were they from breeders or friends who just happend to have a litter? If you did research you would know ovulation is caused by the male. The books may not have the most current information. Lizardgirl has a very informative care guide that you can download if you havent already. I have it saved on my desktop and refer to it often as well as this site. Are you prepared for the fact that she may not be a good mommie and you have to feed the babies? Or the fact she may eat them if disturbed? These are some of the things that I have had to face recently. I got lucky and my Shadow is a great mom so far. No I did not breed her. When I got her I didn't know until a week later she was pregnant until I heard little squeaks coming from her bin. The babies are now three weeks old and doing great from what I can tell. If it wasn't for the people on here I would have lost all of the babies.
tigereyes319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't mean any offense, but breeding takes a ton of responsibility, time, money, and preparation. Do you have $1000 in case your female has complications with the birth? You said they don't have pedigrees - as tigereyes said, you don't know if they have WHS in their background. WHS is Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome and it's horrible. Please, watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slhTIwYJESI That is a hedgehog in the last stages of WHS. They are completely paralyzed, they can't move, and it's completely heartbreaking. It is not something that can be cured, or can be tested for. The only way you can know if your hedgehogs will pass it on is if you have the pedigrees and can check to see how their parents, grandparents, etc. died. It doesn't usually start until the hedgehog is at least a couple of years old - so you won't know until it's too late, and you have a bunch of babies who are all at risk for the same terrible fate. Please, read what we're saying and think better of what you're planning to do with your hedgehogs. Just enjoy them as pets - there is no reason to breed them. I also wrote a post that addresses a lot of issues with breeding - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19339 Please, take the time to read it and consider those words. I hope you think better of your plans for your hedgehogs.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

If have to ask why she bit him, then you have a lot to learn, and you shouldn't be breeding.
If you don't have pedigrees for them, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you're under 18 (which it sounds like you are), you shouldn't be breeding.
If you're a "new owner" and haven't figured out the basics of hedgehog ownership and husbandry, including understanding how they're "wired" and why they do the things they do - you shouldn't be breeding.
If the majority (or all) of your information about hedgehogs comes from things you've read or books you've bought, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you don't understand what WHS is, and appreciate how serious it is, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you think getting two hedgehogs being from two different people/sources means they're guaranteed to not be related, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you think it's perfectly fine to put any male and female together, as long as they're "not related", you shouldn't be breeding.
If you haven't given any thought to the difference between "pet quality" and "breeding quality", you shouldn't be breeding.
If you don't have an experienced, reputable hedgehog breeder (not a BYB, not a friend who happened to breed two hedgehogs) available to act as your mentor, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you don't have a considerable amount of money available for birth/pregnancy-related emergencies, you shouldn't be breeding.
If you don't have a vet nearby, who specializes in exotics and/or has an abundance of hedgehog experience, including breeding/pregnancy/birth/babies experience - you shouldn't be breeding.

If you're prepared for the "ups and downs", you will have no problem seeing these images:

WARNING/DISCLAIMER - GRAPHIC CONTENT
I am trying to prove a point, and to anyone reading this, if you are not comfortable seeing dead babies, including blood and gore, DO NOT CLICK.

http://i.imgur.com/w0qm1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HcDoz.jpg

If you intend to breed, you will deal with dead babies. Babies die. It happens a lot. At least 1 in 4 hedgehog babies born does not survive. They might be whole, they might be bloody and half eaten, they might be simply devoured by the mother with no trace left. They might die in your hands when you want so badly to do something, anything, to keep them alive - but you're completely helpless. And every baby that dies is brought into the world because you chose to breed.

If you intend to breed, you will have vet costs. There are complications - they're more common than you'd think. Every time you breed, you're risking the life of the female. Breach babies. Hemorrhages. Infection. The list goes on.

Breeding is heartbreak. The only reason to breed is if there's something good to come of it. If you're improving the species, working on healthy lines, being careful and responsible, and being absolutely sure that the babies will lead full, happy, healthy lives.

Nothing about how you're going about this is going to benefit hedgehogs in any way - the species at large, or your hedgehogs specifically.

If you choose to breed your hedgehogs, you risk continuing genetic illness that other breeders - responsible and dedicated breeders - have worked so hard and so long to try to eradicate.
If you choose to breed, you risk the life of your female, who you claim to love.
If you choose to breed, you cannot guarantee the health and longevity of the babies, because you do not have sufficient knowledge of their bloodlines and genetic backgrounds.
If you choose to breed, you WILL have problems come up that you aren't prepared to deal with - or deal with the wrong way, to the detriment of the mother and babies - because you are not prepared. Because you don't have enough experience as a hedgehog owner. Because you don't have a mentor. Because you haven't given enough thought. Because you, by all appearances, are putting two hedgehogs together just for the fun of it, without any idea of what you're really getting into.

If your username ("myloveforhedgehogs") is genuine and true, please do not breed your hedgehogs.
ahowey472 likes this.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Wonderful post Moxie.

The two links Moxie provided are a very mild representation of what dead babies can look like. Not to mention what can happen to mom. Having a mom with a baby stuck half way out, or watching mom bleed out and die knowing the only reason she is dead is because YOU chose to breed her. Breeding is not for the squeamish, the easily upset, or for those without a good all round knowledge base. It's also not for those with limited finances or those dependent on parents or others to provide transportation to the vet.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

You may think Moxie and Nancy were brutal but it is because they want what is best for the hedgies. But I agree 100% with them. Breeding is not for fun or profit. It can be nothing but heartache and alot of sleepless nights. Also having homes for the babies if they survive is important also. These people need to know how to take care of them properly including what foods they need. Also pulling your information from youtube is not the best way to learn since a lot of it is wrong ie handling babies just born.
tigereyes319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

You have been given some wonderful advice I hope for the sake of your hedgies that you will take the advice and keep them completely seperated from now on.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

OMG! Should have read the photo warning first. Nightmare city.
Please, if those photo's don't stop you from breeding, I don't know what will. Please do your research. All the posts above are the reality of breeding. Please just love your hedgy. Don't breed and risk the health of your pet. It's just not worth it. I truely hope you think twice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in