Worried! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worried!

This morning my hedgie was sleeping with quills out. I picked him up to check on him, and he rolled into a ball, quills out, and made a continuous small engine noise. Worried he was going into hibernation, I applied warm water, dried him, and warmed him with a heating pad and my body. After an hour or so, he started to come out of the ball shape, and eventually walked around. Four hours later, he still seems distressed as his quills are out and he keeps balling up when I approach or pick him up. He will eat a little piece of kibble though, if I place it on his belly. He will walk around a bit, and burrowed under his bedding, but the quills are still out.
Cafreeman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

How long have you had him ?? Hedgehogs defensove is their quills being out if they are out it can mean they are scared. Its possible if hes doing it around you and huffing at you that hes just not settled with you, and needs more time to get used to you.

Also if they are hibernating then you shouldnt make them wet this can make it worse, best thing is body heat
nikki likes this.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

How old is he??
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our hedgie was born in July. We have had him since August 26. He is a cranky fellow, who typically hisses and huffs a bit prior to us picking him up, but his quills go down quickly. Today was totally abnormal. This afternoon I held him for over an hour. He started wiggling around, and the quills finally went down, but if I moved, he got upset again. His belly was warm, so I put him back in his cage, where he ate and drank. But he is still huffing and quills when anyone goes near.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

First of all, heating pads aren’t safe for hedgehogs.

Also, this is perfectly normal hedgehog behavior. He most likely hasn’t warmed up to you yet. That “engine noise” is just the noise the hedgehogs usually make when they feel threatened or irritated. Just bond with him at least 30 minutes a day and eventually he will warm up to you. Keep in mind, it can take months or even over a year for your hedgehog to feel comfortable around you.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

How many times a day are you actually handling him, when are you are handlng and how long for ??

If your waking them up in the afteenoon when they want to sleep they will get grumpy and huff and put up their quills.
Think about it, if you was a hedgehog- nocturnal, prey animal, little- and these giant hands came in your house when your asleep and start picking you up and waking you up when you want to be asleep, you wouldnt be very happy. Especially if they do it more than once in the day.

Also he's probably wriggling to get get out of your hands because he doesnt feel safe, he can't go back to sleep.

If your only taking him out at night, when it is their awak time, and expecting them to cuddle they will most likely just keep trying to get away to play.

I'm not saying you are doing this, plsase keep that in mind, Its only because you said about getting him out in the morning and afternoon that I've said this to help.
nikki and Cafreeman like this.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is he quilling? That will make them grumpier than normal.
Cafreeman likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

This just seems like normal hedgehog behaviour. Hedgehogs can be cranky. My boy, Theodore, always huffs and puffs when I pick him up and rolls into a ball. He usually puts his quills down quickly, but some days it takes awhile. He probably just hasn’t bonded fully with you yet. Keep working on it and hopefully it’ll get better!!!

Good luck!!!
fluffy's mom and Cafreeman like this.
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

After careful consideration from all of you and after peaking with the vet, Harry is quilling! He is already much better and back to himself, so thank you!!!

Mecki likes this.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Harry♡

Mecki and belties like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in