My hedgehog is not very active, is this normal? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog is not very active, is this normal?

Hi. I got a baby hedgehog, she is 4 months now. She is not very active, she basically hides under her bed all day and when I take her out of her cage to play, she doesn't really run or anything. I got her a wheel and some toys but she never plays. Is this normal?
feymartinez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi there. I'm no expert but check the basics... Is she warm enough? This is the first thing I'd check. Is she eating?
Shrewbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

What temperature do you keep her at ?? Have you checked her belly to see if it feels a bit cold ?? Whats your lighting schedual ?? Is it pitch black dark im her cage when it should be or is there any light ??

These are all things that can effect how active they are. Also when settling in it can take them a few days to be more active
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah she eating, she eats a lot. I'm new w hedgehogs and the breeder told me that I just need it to keep her warm but he never mention anything about a hitting lamp or anything so to be honest I don't know what is the exact temperature but the room I keep her in is very warm. Now that you mention that, maybe she is just cold. Also she is not very friendly so I thought maybe that was the reason why she didn't wanted to play.
feymartinez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

She's probably still setling in, so she wont be the most froendlist with you, put old clothes that l of you in her cage that will help with making her friendliet. Holly didnt really get used to her wheel till she was about 7 or 8 months
Being in complete dark with absolutly no light can help a lot too.
Look into a digital thometer so that you see what temp her cage.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hedgehogs sleep all day and are active at nite . Try getting her out at night when it is their more normal time to be awake. Also use dim lighting when you have her out.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey there! As mentioned in another comment, hedgehogs are nocturnal, so it very well might just be that you’re trying to hang out with her before she’s ready to start her day! My girl is definitely very explicit when she wants to be left alone, so just give it some time and figure out when they’re most “pleasant” to be up and about 🙂
As far as heating, virtually all hedgehog owners recommend a heat set up for the hedgies house. The best thing to use is a ceramic heat emitting bulb- it screws into most dome lamps, gives off no unneeded light, and heats their house up nicely! Your hedgies house should stay around 72-80 at all times, which is why we recommend a separate heat set up other than just your house temp!
Hope this helps!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Frisk is a sleeper; he always has been. It took him a while to use his wheel, and he still doesn't play with toys. He did like a pom pom ball pit that I made. It just seems to be who he is. He will only come out if it is completely pitch black; even then he will only use his wheel for a little while then go back to sleep. Your's might be similar.
FriskChara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in