Are these acceptable? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are these acceptable?

I do not have a hedgehog yet, but I am currently in the process of ordering things for his cage as he is coming in two weeks. I am planning on getting a plastic tub, cutting a hole out of the side, and filling it with some pom poms for his dig box. Is plastic acceptable, or should I use a different material? If so, can you recommend anything else to use?
As for the silicone, I have silicone coasters that I was going to use to place my future hedgie’s food and water bowls on so that if anything spills, there won’t be a mess. Is silicone acceptable either?
Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Thanks for the questions; better to have all the answers! First off, the only problem I see with the plastic would be the sides you cut- plastic can get really sharp after it’s bedn cut. If you can smooth those cuts down, it shouldn’t be a problem! As for alternatives, I have used empty tissue boxes or even cereal boxes in the past. Just make sure all plastic film and glue is ripped off, and it can be used as a dig box!

What kind of flooring will your hedgehog be living on? If you’re using fleece, that’s water absorbent and can take spills. If you’re using shavings, I can see the desire to extend the longetivity of the shavings. If you’re using a plastic tub, you could simply put a small piece of fleece under the bowls. The idea of silicone is kind of the same as glue on a tissue box- hedgies are known to bite at so many things, usually to just get a sense of what it is, but the silicone might just be soft enough for him to get a crunch out of and try to injest. I wouldn’t reccomend it, but if you really want to try it, try it! Just make sure you are observing his behaviors around it 🙂
Hope this helps!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in