I never thought I would consider another, but now I need advice. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

On December 27th, I lost my sweet boy, Prickly Pete, to a growth that had wrapped around his spleen. It was truly the hardest thing I have ever had to experience, there’s not a moment that goes by that I don’t think about him. I told myself I wouldn’t get another one because I don’t want to go through this again.

A few days after, I found myself looking at the breeders website because I desperately missed caring for one, but knew that I just missed Pete so I wasn’t going to act on it or anything. All I wanted was my boy back. I still do.

The hedgehog I was interested in, needed a confident owner because he is shy and very pokey. I knew I could handle that.

A few days later, he was reserved, and I’m guessing the family who reserved him had children because soon after he was back up for adoption, for less money. Also said that he needs a confident owner, and is not for a child.

Fast forward to this week, and I checked again. He’s even less money than before, and he’s the only one available now but the breeder has babies on the way. I feel so bad for him that he’s the only one left, born in October. I know that I could give him a forever home for as long as his forever is. It feels like almost a sign that he is still up for adoption.

I sent the breeder an email yesterday asking if he’s still available incase she just hasn’t had time to update her website. If he’s not available anymore, I will not be looking into getting another baby. I’m only considering him since he needs an experienced owner, and I know how to care for him.

However, I know how common cancer is in hedgehogs and after losing Pete I don’t know if I want to go through that again. I know that we will lose all of our amazing and sweet pets and one point, but that doesn’t make the decision any easier. I want to make sure this little guy goes to a home that can give him everything he needs and I can definitely do that.

I still find myself crying at times over the loss of my boy, I miss him more than anything, and if I do get this one, it’s going to be hard to reach into the igloo and not see Pete. I know that this one will have a completely different personality, and this boy looks nothing like my buddy. I don’t want a replacement for Pete, he could never be replaced. I want to give a home to a hedgie who needs one like this boy does. I will probably get a new wheel, cage, and everything if I do get him.

I still don’t have an email back from the breeder to know if he’s available, and I’m still unsure of what to do because I know the odds of this happening again are probably high, but I know giving him the best life he could have would be worth it all again. It’s still a hard decision to make, though, and I very much miss my boy.

I’m sorry this is a long post, I just need advice and I figured this is a good place to go since we all love hedgies here.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

We're glad your back and considering helping a needy hedgie.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belties View Post
We're glad your back and considering helping a needy hedgie.
Thank you, I think even if it’s hard on me and this guy is still available I’ll strongly consider adopting him. Anything for our little hedgies ❤️

Old 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

This is a very personal decision and it's one that can only be decided by you.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

That’s very true, too. The boy I was interested in is on hold for someone but she’ll be contacting me if they don’t end up taking him.

I have also added my name for one who is 1.5yrs, a male, and she says he is very sweet.
I’m hesitant to adopt an older one since I lost my boy so young but they all need homes and I can provide a loving one.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I’m so so sorry about your boy, that must’ve been hard.
But I think you should adopt this boy if you can. Since you said it would be hard to reach into the igloo and not find your boy, I think it would be a good idea to buy new things for this new hedgie. I think that you should take this opportunity to make a better life for a hedgie that hasn’t had a good one so far, but at the end of he day it’s your choice.

Good luck!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you, I love hedgies very much and I’m so thankful I was able to be Petey’s mom. He helped me through my spinal fusion recovery.

I would definitely buy new things if I end up adopting this one, or any. I think I want another and then I think about the same thing happening to this one, and I don’t know if I can go through that again. Which is confusing because I love them so much and want to help them all.

I think there’s a couple weeks before the 1.5yo one will be put up for adoption and my name is on him, so I have time to decide. He looks like Pete and I’m not fond of that but the breeder says he’s a sweetheart...he definitely deserves a good home. I would have preferred a baby but either way, there’s a chance of going through this again so I don’t know yet. Hopefully I can come to a decision before the two weeks.

Everyone here who have had multiple hedgehogs are so strong, truly.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

A lady in my town is rehoming her 6 month old hedgehog! Her son couldn’t care for it anymore, and I’m on my way to pick him up. She got him from the same breeder I got Petey from.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here he is, his previous family named him Ivan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1AB5C01A-4AE6-4289-A37C-6606C58ABE0E_1548894611398.jpeg (219.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

He's so cute!
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in