How to convince parents to get me a hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to convince parents to get me a hedgehog?

Over the past 2 years I have kept exotic pets that my parents bought for me or that I had caught. Some pets are a tarantula and 3 ant colony that I've raised myself. I have enough money to buy a hedgehog and I know a breeder. I have cat kibble that I will feed it and I have money to buy it. I have a Tupperware container to house it in and I'm going to purchase a wheel. But I'm pretty sure they will say no. I have proven myself responsible to them by now I think. I've already asked a year ago and they said no. What points can I bring up to them to help my case? I have done much research and I even got my English teacher, who has a hedgehog give me some pointer on how to take care of one.
Ltislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

They let you keep tarantulas but not a hedgehog? Gosh, ok.
My mom allowed me to get a hedgehog after I told them they are silent, they aren't rodents, they don't stink and they don't carry diseases. That's all my mom took to say yes. I'm not sure how determined your parents are, sorry if I didn't help that much. 😅
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had to work for a year to get my hedgie. I know you've asked a year ago but it differs with different people. My mom hates all animals and only ever let me have a fish. For me, the real turning point was when my friend who also owns a hedgehog went on vacation and let me take care of her hedgehog. This let my parents see what it was really like to own a hedgehog. Really, the best advice I can give is patience. They know you're responsible now you just have to let them know you are committed. I just kept telling facts so they knew I was still interested and so that they knew more things about why they are amazing pets. If you really want one, it won't matter how long it takes. Trust me, I know it feels horrible when they just keep saying no but the reward is well worth the wait.
Stella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

I just kept telling my mum facts about them, and their care, and what they eat and things they cant eat. I also found pictures and kept showing my mum how adorable they really are.
I also used the fact that they make great emotional support animals, which helped a lot in getting a hedgehog.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Don't forget you'll also need a heating set up and that will use electricity that your parents have to pay for. Remember that hedgehogs need 8 square feet of living space. You also need to consider what's going to happen when you need to take your hedgehog to the vet? It's easy to say now that they will take it and pay but usually what happens is the parents don't want to spend money on a vet and the hedgehog is the one that suffers.

You also have to be 100% honest with them, yes hedgehog smell, all animals smell. Yes they get sick and it's more when they will need to see a vet not if. Yes they are noisy at night. Yes you have to figure out what to do when you are out of town. If you're in high school you also have to think what will happen after you graduate.

Right now your parents are responsible for everyone and every living thing in their home. If they don't want the responsibility of a hedgehog then it's not fair for you to try and talk them into it. If you want to be a truly responsible hedgehog owner you will wait until you are able to provide a home where you are responsible for all expenses and not your parents.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com

Last edited by nikki; 01-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Have you actually tried asking recently or did you just do it a year ago ?? It could be that they wanted to look into the animal as well, before agreeing to it.
Or that they want to see how keen you really are about having a hedgehog.
I would say it could be that they dont want insects in their house but u said u had a oet terantula soooo I doubt its that.
Hedgehogs do smell not loads that it would stink up your whole house or room but they do smell. Diet can depend on how much it smells too.
Also as hedgehogs are nocturnal they could be wondering when are you going to actually going to handle it, because you should be asleep when they are awake and awake when they are asleep. But if they have their day (dark) from say 8 then you could have them out 8-9 in a play pen playing. Or 7-8 for cuddles while your doing homework (if still in school)

All of what Niki said are true and are most likely huge factors. I do think you show your inteserst if you really want one now, but think about long term too. Don't push ur parents into it just show insterest.
This is exactly what I did, and after a few months, when my mum felt that she was ready she let me have one.

I think the best thing would be talking to them about it, say you would like one then give reasons why, then if they say no ask them why.

Last edited by Ria; 01-27-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

From what do they smell? My hedgehog doesn't smell at all. If anything, he smells like vanilla... For some reason...
Old 01-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Their feces smells, as does the feces of any animal. When they poop there is often a strong odor until it dries and the wheel will often smell strongly by morning from the mixture of urine and feces.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ohhh yeah. Lol sorry, misunderstood you.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

It depends on your parents.
For me, I just showed my mom how much I knew about them and kept showing my mom pictures and videos of cute hedgehogs, and for my dad, I assured him that they were not rodents and made a PowerPoint presentation on hedgehogs and why I should get one. What I’d recommend is show your parents how much you know about them (pictures and videos would help) and make sure they know how much you want one. Also remind them of how well you took care of your other pets. It may take time to convince your parents to let you get a hedgehog, but once you have one, you’ll realize it was very much worth the wait.

Good luck!!!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in