Bonding - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

I believe yes. We took her vet and so far she doesn't have any other issues than quilling and I was reading it is similar to baby teeth growing on human babies. It is a hard period for them.

She is so nervous since then. Running like crazy until find a place to hide. Doesn't want to come out if there is no food when we are around. I am hardly finding a balance between leave her alone and having play time. Still she is nice sometimes and sleep next to me during day.. I must add my hedgie is quilling too much. As I understand some hedgies have better quilling time. Mine have not..

So I believe some hedgies are having better quilling time or just nicer to people
And I guess our hedgies have similar personalities. Mine is not scared mostly. Just being aggressive ^^ I am making her calm at the beginning always. Then taking her out from her cage.
Cherrymik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Quilling can make them VERY huffy because its so uncomfortable for them !! They dont like being handled as much through it. Although I got really lucky with Holly as she didnt become like that and she stayed very much chilled out and calm !! Some just react worse to it.

They like finding places to hid as it makes them feel safe as they are prey animals. Maybe try sitting with him next you, and then let him push his head behind you a little so he can hide his head.

Also some hedgehogs arent as cuddly as others, heave you tried having him run around a hedgehog safe room with you sitting there places to hide but would say do it latter so its dark when you do this and see how he acts.

As your in a warmer country it
Might be that he doesnt like beinn on you because of your body heat. I know that during the summer Holly prefered laying next to me and hiding her head behind me than laying on me and cuddling because of the extra body temp.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I did not know quilling can affect them. Thanks for the shout out. Igor's going through quilling, but he doesn't seem much more huffy than he usually is. So I guess, his personality and the quiling thing clashes, lol or maybe I'm just not noticing since he does sometimes seem bipolar.

The hedgehog saferoom sounds like a great idea, and it made me curious as to how he'd act. I definitely have to try that. He's super active at night.

And the body temperature part seems to make a lot of sense. My mom does say I'm alot hotter than I'm suppose to be. My temperature, of course.

And my cousin has a hedgehog too. That's how I fell in love with the creatures.
Now her hedgie has a completely different personality than mine.
She's a cuddler, and slept on my body no matter the heat. She bonded with me the first time I held her.

I wanted to have a hedgehog like my cousin's, but I got my boy, and I wouldn't trade him for anything. Even if he hates - loves me.
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ria

Haha he may just not tolerate warmth as much !! All hedgehogs are differnt much like us and prefer differnt temps. He may not like the heat as much.

Also they dont like being handled and touched as much when killing and they espciellay hate being on their back (some do quilling or not)

Warmer months Holly prefes to be next to me rather than on me.

Oh and I know its a differnt thread and everything but your keeping them cool in summer, cant you ask your cousin or does she live in another country or cooler place ?? Because if she lives in the same area she may know or have some ideas ?? Or are you both new to it ??
Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Daw, Holly sounds like a sweetheart!

She lives in another state, and she's new to this too. Plus, they are alot more financially fortunate and have AC's their whole house through.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ria

Holly can very much be a sweetheart. Unless its my brothers or my gran, shes an angle. Or nail cutting time she turns into a little ninja !!

Alright so shes a little bit luckier and didnt have to find a way for cooling down

Last edited by Ria; 01-23-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Lol adorable.

Yeah she's luckier. But for someone with the money, she doesn't really look after her hedgehog to the fullest.
But I guess I can't smacktalk family.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Hedgy View Post
Mine bonded with me the 3rd day I got him. I must be lucky. I also took a few photos with him, tell me if you like them😉
Hi, actually how do owners make their hedgie curl like the first picture?
I'd love to take a pic of mine like that but don't know how.
felonius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ria

Tickle its tummy, works with Holly haha.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Haha Igor just bites me if I try to do that. So I've given up trying to make him ball up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in