Please i need advice on biting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please i need advice on biting

hey there sooo my girl princess was born Aug 22,2018 she was adopted at 6 weeks of age Sept 30,2018 she came home she had been biting for about 6 weeks now I've tried blowing gently on her face,I keep holding her ,really really throughly wash.y hands and shes still biting I even give all day not touching her until evening or 10 pm it really doesnt seem to matter what I do shes still biting moi I love her sooo much but its annoying and painful when you unexpectedly get bit any suggestions are helpful please she cant keep biting my other little dude doesnt bite at all at all I dont think Princess was handled at all until I got her sooo I just dont know why shes biting and I do lot touch her without washing my hands ever !!!!please help all and any suggestions will be helpful please
princess08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Have a read of this it will help you, its about why they might be biting and ways to discourage it to get them to eventually stop

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru.../topics/100362
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Biting

Hey there! So sorry to hear about the biting. I'd like to give my advice, as my Christina Hedguilera is the exact same way.
While biting is NOT a preferred or really natural defense mechanism, some hedgehogs either learned it or just do it! I wish there was a more scientific answer but nope. If your hedgehog bites you (speaking to everyone reading this) you definitely should give them a negative reinforcement (ie. blowing in their face, snapping your fingers, yelling). They should hopefully start to associate biting with bad outcome. And under no circumstances should you put them down. 99% of the time, mine included, they want to be put down and think biting you will do the trick- so don't positively reinforce the behavior!
now, we need to talk about anointing. hedgehogs will bite and nip at you and every other object of interest in order to get your scent in their mouth to produce saliva which they can smear on their backs- yum. No one knows why exactly they do this, but it's been associated with camouflage and bonding. So decipher the two bites- are they short nips (even if they hurt) and sporadic, or are they bite DOWNs (especially with grinding like mine does). don't negatively reinforce them for anointing- its a natural behavior! But definitely don't allow biting with no consequences. Just do some more research even if you've done a lot on hedgehog care (diet, housing, etc) as those factors also contribute to temperament.
Hope this helps!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely don't blow in their face or use negative reinforcement. It can potentially make them bite harder.
BatmanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sometimes my boy, Theodore likes to bite. I always wear the same sweater when I hold him so if he bites it doesn’t hurt. Try using unscented soap cause maybe Princess things you smell yummy and wants a taste. When she bites you blow on her face, and hopefully eventually she gets the message. Hope this helped!

Good luck!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I`m sorry to bring bad news, but my hedhegog has been 5 months with me and she loves to bite, me, her bed, and all what she can. She bites me a little bit less than first times, less hard and less frequently, but she does. And no, it`s not because of curiosity, she puts the grumpiest face possible. I still have hope that she quit bitting me at least, but I think it`s just her way of being.
Pimienta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Be absolutely sure you're not using any scented body products. The worst bite I ever received from my hedgehog was from using a deodorant that she wanted to taste.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Negative reinforcement is not appropriate to use to correct behaviour and can actually cause many hedgehogs to bite more as it makes them feel less secure and safe.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Negative reinforcement is not appropriate to use to correct behaviour and can actually cause many hedgehogs to bite more as it makes them feel less secure and safe.
Hey there! Thanks for the comment. How would you proceed then in a situation such as this one?
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Positive reinforcement for desired outcomes. Also, take the time to learn your hogs behavior. You can often find a pattern to the behavior and prevent bites before they happen. Understanding when and why they bite gives you the tools needed to know how to keep the bite from happening to begin with. Didn't wash your hands after a snack and then got bit? Wash your hands. Just painted your nails right before handling your hog? Wait until you're done playing with your hedgehog to do your nails. My first hog really only bit exposed skin. Not clothes or fleece. Just skin. So I used fleece blankets when I held her and otherwise didn't put fingers right in front of her face. No more bites.

At the end of the day, hedgehogs just don't have the reasoning capability to understand why you are suddenly doing something they don't like. To them, they did a thing that made sense. Then for no reason you are doing something scary. The two events are unrelated in their minds. And because these are defensive prey animals, if they suddenly view you as a threat because of your behavior they'll treat you like any other threat. That means pokes and bites. The best thing to do is make their experience with you as positive as you can make it.
nikki likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in