Help with scared hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with scared hedgehog

We adopted aspen Aug. 21 2018 and she is held and played with daily by all 3 of us through out the day. Yet she is still in a full ball the whole time, the only way to get her to move is to offer her a mealworm or a piece of shredded cheese( she does not get cheese often or a lot literally a piece of shredded cheese). That or take her blaket. She bites my daughter almost daily. I need help my kids have just about given up on her.
Karnivous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think what will benefit you here will be a solid schedule an a little bit more patience. Pick a time in the late evening (remember, hedgehogs are nocturnal) to get her out everyday. Don't take her out throughout the day unless there's an important reason (vet visit, medication, that sort of thing). When you get them out during the day, it's like waking them in the middle of the night, which might explain the rotten mood she's in.

So, set time each day, in the evening, for a set amount of time. Show her that there's nothing to be afraid of by making her time out of the cage low stress. Let her hide in a blanket in someone's lap. Talk to her gently, offer her healthy treats. Experiment with different bugs, fruits, and vegetables (there's a sticky on the forum with a list of hedgie safe treats). Keep the room on the darker side, and limit loud, sudden noises. Be sure to stick to the schedule! Hedgehogs thrive with consistency. If they know what to expect, they'll be less fearful and more likely to warm up to you.

Hedgehogs are often not big play pets, which is why we often don't recommend them for children. But, they are rewarding for the patient owner that wants an interesting little companion to enjoy. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions.
belties likes this.

Last edited by shinydistraction; 01-14-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot something
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in