How can I own a Hedgehog legally in California? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By shetland
  • 1 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 AM  

Default How can I own a Hedgehog legally in California?

I love playing the Sonic the Hedgehog games and ever since I known I could have a Hedgehog as a pet, I looked up on where to buy one and I found out that they are illegal to own as pets here in California. Why? I understand the fear of one of them getting loose into the wild and messing everything up like overpopulating. But, once you think about it Hedgehogs are unable to breed in California's outside environment, which meams they have a zero percent chance of them becoming an invasive species. Hedgehogs also rarely carry disease, unlike cats and rodents which ARE legal in this state. It makes no sense for them to be illegal at all. I want to know if I could get a permit to legally own a Hedgehog here. If not, then I'll just have to wait for them to become legalized or move put of state...
Sonickid Gaming is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM  
Administrator

There is no way to legally own a hedgehog in California unless the laws governing them are changed.
shetland likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 AM  

A lot of people own and breed them in California. If you are responsible and dont discuss it with people you don't know it is not really an issue. I can't tell you what to do but I will say as a hedgie owner and a retired (30 yrs) Humane Officer in California that if you find a reputable breeder and just don't advertise that you have one you will be fine. Sharing with family and close freinds of course is the fun part. And there are veterinarians that treat pocket pets and exotics. Just get all your stuff first.
Darcie is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM  
Administrator

Please do not encourage people to break the law on this forum. We do not encourage that behaviour here. He asked if there was a way to legally own one, not how to keep one illegally.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 02:10 PM  

I live in Pennsylvania and have adored hedgehogs for many years. Hedgies are illegal in this state. I would never risk the health needs and potentially the life of an innocent animal for my own personal wants.
nikki likes this.
shetland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM  

That's great you have such high standards.
Hedgehogs, ferrets, and sugar gliders are all illegal in California. And they are all COMMONLY owned. Many veterinarians treat them. I didnt tell this person to break the law. It's a choice only an individual can make.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM  

California is actually one of the places where pygmy hedgehogs could become invasive because the climate is perfect for them, so it’s not that much of a stretch to ban them.

Hedgehogs can carry a variety of diseases including rabies (of course they’d first have to contract them - which wouldn’t be that difficult if they’d lived outside).
nikki likes this.

Last edited by Draenog; 01-12-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Draenog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 01:07 AM  

The climate in California in the winter is much too cold for hedgehogs to survive and become an invasive species.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in