Ricciolo's weird Behaviour(?) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Ricciolo's weird Behaviour(?)

Hi♡ I'm an Italian girl, friend of a little six months old male hedgehog called Ricciolo. I have got him about one month ago and I absolutely love him.
So...
At first he wasn't shy: he didn't close up, he eaten from my hands and at the first explorations of my bedroom (I have waited for a week to let him more comfortable on his new house) he ran everywhere, even on myself!
Now he is still "frendly" because he seriously doesn't close up (only when he is sleeping) and eat from my hands, but he seems a little nervous. When I'm next to him with food he eat it all, but after this he run away in a dark place just like he is annoying. Again, he never closes totally up or popping, he never bites me. The only little sound that he makes is the "clicking" and sometimes a very soft squicky, looking for a place to hide. He hasn't problem to get a contact with me because if we are in a little space he looks for a new place also trying to get on me, but if I take him in my hands he just wants to run away. Every time he is free from his house and I'm next to him he makes those clicks. Is that normal? How can I have a better feeling with my little pet?
I has putted some clothes in his cage and I feed him from my hands everyday. In tje last weeks he usnt so active like the first ones and when he is free he just eant to sleep. What else can I do?
Ricciolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is the temperature in his pen warm enough ? Cool temps will reduce their activity. Do you have him on a regular 12 hour light and 12 hour dark schedule. Our little girl is not much on being hand held but does love to be hand fed and then likes to sleep on my lap under a towel or her hedgie sack. It does take some of them a long time to get friendly and some only do on their terms.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds normal to be honest hedgehogs like to hide during the day to sleep, they are nocturnal and prey animals, so unless its dark he probably wont do very active and will only want to sleep and naturally that means they hide.
Temperature does also alter how active they are, too hot or too cold makes them less active.
Most hedgehogs are happy to be around you and climb all over you, eat from your hands but dont like being hand held. Its just how they are. To be honest normally eating from hands means they truss you, and are comfortable with you.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your answers! In Sicily it's cold in this period so I use a warm carpet(?) -so sorry, I don't know its name in English!- with 17.5 W in its cage under an old t shirt. I have tried to put it out of his cage but it was still too cold... today I wanted to try something new, so I have taken my little friend inside a big pocket while I was studying; it was afternoon so he fallen asleep inside it. Is this a good way to get him more comfortable with me? Also, how about the click sound? What does mean?
Thank you so much♡
Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

As long as hes still able to sleep thats a fine way to bond more.
Temp should be 24-27oC
Holly likes it at 26 not much higher and not much lower.
If his quills are all down then the clicking noises means hes happy.
If he isnt really relaxed (quills are up) theb the noise might be a "leave me alone" noise - this is what I was told anyway
Old 01-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

His quills are down, but he makes this sound only when I'm next to him and then he looks for a darker place, even if the room is already dark. Thank you so much for your advices, I'll continue to let him sleep next to me ♡
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Hes looking for somewhere to hide rather than a dark place. I use my cardigan to create a hideing spot next to me

Tags
behaviour change, clickings, inactive, new owner, running away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in