New baby isn’t adjusting well - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cherrymik

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New baby isn’t adjusting well

Hello! We adopted Leo about 2.5 weeks ago and he is about 2.5 months old and I’m worried that he is not adjusting well. He won’t run on his wheel, however the breeder we got him from said he ran on the wheel at her house. He has a Carolina storm wheel, the same brand I had for my last hedgehog who loved it. Leo is also not interested in meal worms at all. We’ve tried to feed the worms to him a few time and he just ignores them. Another thing is that he goes to the bathroom in his bed and right next to his food and water bowl but I read that usually they don’t like to potty where they sleep and where they eat. He has a litter box below his wheel that he won’t use, but he will occasionally sleep in. Comparing Leo to my last hedgehog, he is completely different so I don’t know if he is having trouble adjusting or if it’s just him. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you! ��
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A29427D-1CC7-43C2-A8BB-31AC63F72C6F_1546878583121.jpg (148.0 KB, 30 views)
Haley.Marie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

He sounds like a perfectly normal baby hedgehog. It can take some babies months to adapt to a new place.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hes so adorable!!!!
Kaito the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello, we have got our first hedgie 5 days ago and we have almost the same issues.
About meal worms, she is not a fan about them as well but when I leave them in her food bowl for the night with her regular food, she eats after she finishes her food. When I put worms for the night I put less cat food so she can eat all.
Also you can try other foods to find what's his fav. So far ours is chicken (:
About pooping, If he is pooping somewhere else at nights, it is most probably he is scared of going out for pooping. He is a baby and trying to adapt.
Cherrymik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Please make sure your baby has food at all times. If she is running out of food then she isn't getting enough. It's more important that she always has food than if she eats the mealworms.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know they need always food, especially babies. She has it always, no worries ^^
nikki likes this.
Cherrymik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I’ve recently adopted a hedgehog as well, (I adopted Theodore 3 weeks ago) and that’s perfectly normal behaviour for a new hedgehog. Don’t be alarmed if he doesn’t use the litter box, as some hedgehogs don’t ever learn to use the litter box (Theodore refuses to use it). As for the wheel, Theodore close to a week to discover his wheel. Just because Leo’s not using his wheel now, doesn’t mean he never will. As for the mealworms, some hedgehogs don’t really like them (Theodore seems to only like kitten food). Leo and your other hedgehog most likely have different personalities. It’s just gonna take time for you to get to know Leo and take Leo time to get used to the new environment and decide how he wants to do things. It may not be like your other hedgehog, but once you get to know Leo and observe how he does things, it’ll be alright.
I wish you the best of luck with Leo!!!
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in