Concerned!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2018, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Concerned!!!!

Hey guys, so I just got a hedghog a week ago, he’s fairly young (about a year or less) and ever since I got him home he’s been acting weird (this is also my first hedgehog so it might be completely normal, I don’t know) but I’m going to liast some things that I think aren’t odd and it would be nice if someone with experience could give me advice or let me know if something is wrong.

First, I’ve noticed that he’s been sneezing a lot, sometimes repeatedly and I don’t know if it’s because he’s getting used to new smells or if something is wrong.

Second, almost every time I handle him a few quills fall off. Not in chucks but just a few here and there

Third, he’s not very active during the night. Most of the time I have to wake up up at night and then he sniffs around his cage for a bit and then goes back to sleep. I take him out of his cage to bond with me but he’s either super grumpy or doesn’t stay still

And fourth, sometimes after I take him out of his cage he goes poo in his litter box but then he stays there for a long time and sometimes falls asleep in his litter box and gets really angry when I try and move him to his hide.

If someone could give me advice or let me know if this is normal or not that would’ve great as I am a first time owner of a hedgehog and I am still learning
Omg.its.brayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

The first one I'm not too sure on.

Second if hes got no blad spots, the quills arent coming off in chuncks, and hes not constantly scratching then thats normal, also you can check the bulb (ball at the end of the quill) if its always there on all the quills then its fine

Third is his cage at the right temperature, I found that too hot or too cold makes Holly less avtive, also if its not pitch black, and theres even a bit of light in the cage then this can make them not very active.
Also some arent as active when settling into new places - not always though.

Fourth is totally normal a lot of the time they like going to the toilet before being handled
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sneezing in a new house is fine, hedgehogs are very sensitive to new smells. If his nose is dripping or if sneezing continues for another week maybe investigate further. Honestly, none of those things sound like a huge cause for concern. He might be too cautious to be too active right away. Or he might be hearing you getting up and getting shy, some hedgehogs won't run if people are looking at them. Make sure there's no light coming into the room. As long as the heating is on if he has a wheel, eventually he'll use it. Don't worry too much, just keep your eye on him as he settles in!
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Ongoing sneezing isn't normal and needs to be checked out to rule out a URI before it turns to pneumonia. What's the temperature in the cage? Often decreased activity is from being cold. Is it completely dark in his cage at night and do you have a light schedule for him?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in