New Hedgehog Owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgehog Owner

Hello! So I got my first hedgehog about a week ago. She is about 4 months old and incredibly shy. Every day I can't help but worry about every little thing, and I've spent so much time researching every "symptom" I think I notice. I know I'm probably over reacting but I just wanted to ask a few questions to see if I need to do anything differently to make her more comfortable, and to just ensure she's living a healthy and happy life. Okay so first of all, right now she and her cage are in a temporary room, and I make sure to check the temperature of the room each day (it stays about 75) and she has a heatlamp that stays on at all times. I've seen her eating her food, and most nights she's been running on her wheel. However whenever I enter the room she goes into a ball and starts hissing and jumping whenever I go near. I've made sure to spend a lot of time with her each day but she doesn't seem like she's gotten used to me at all. I've put an old shirt of mine in her cage too so that she can get used to my smell. I've had to pick her up with a blanket because she's just too sharp for me to pick up with my bare hands, even though I know bare hands is prefered. (I've tried) Once I've gotten her out of her cage she usually just stays in a ball on my lap and hisses at the slightest sound or movement. After a while she usually begins to sniff around and crawl around, but will curl up again if she sees me move. How long will it take for her to be more comfortable around me? I know that a week isn't long enough for a hedgehog to become used to its owner but I want to know if there's anything I'm doing wrong, or if she's just an incredibly skittish hedgehog. I gave her her first bath the other night with oatmeal and she actually seemed to enjoy that surprisingly. (Although she kept drinking the water?) It was the first time I was able to handle her with my bare hands without her reacting negatively. However I'm pretty disappointed because I was really hoping to trim her nails but she was moving around so much that I was afraid I cutting her so I gave up on that. Her nails are getting super long though and I feel like they really need to be trimmed. How long should I wait before trying again, and how should I do it? I'm pretty sure the only way it will even be possible is while she's having a bath. Ok that's pretty much all so far but hear are just a couple more questions. On one of her front paws, one of her nails has looked kind of weird with brown hard stuff under it. I'm assuming it's poop build up but I'm worried about it being something else because it wouldn't really come off in the bath. It's been there since I got her. Could she just have a weird toe or is it something to be concerned about? Also, her skin seems to be kind of dry, that's why I gave her the oatmeal bath. Is there anything else I can do about this? Lastly, mites have been a concern of mine, despite her not even showing any symptoms beside the slightly dry skin and her loosing a couple quills here and there, but that's probably just because she's still quilling. Any signs that I should look out for in he future? Okay sorry I know this was a really long and annoying post, and that I'm probably worrying way to much, but any information/suggestions would be very much appreciated! I think the biggest concerns of mine are just her nails at the moment!
leah1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had my hedgie for 3 months and it seems she's only starting to tolerate me/us now. Some hedgies are more social than others. I'd say keep being insistent (but gentle) with her - let her explore your lap and around you, then maybe just try resting your hand on her back. She'll probably huff a lot but she'll start to get used to it over time. Just yesterday my Kolya actually rolled onto her side so I could massage her tummy!!
Kolya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2018, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

You are doing great, make sure you change the top weekly thiugh or it will smell like her not you and wont get her used to your smell. I used a pair of socks and roated them weekly.

Dont give her proper baths too much, that will make her dry skin a lot worse, you can try flaxseed oil in her food twice a week, if you get capsules as they last longer, either use one twice week (half the first day half the second day) or use two twice a week (one the first day one the second day) you just perice the capsule a put on the dry bsictute then mix.
You can give them footbaths, this should only be in very shollow water to clean their poo feet and you can cut their nails too, this can be given a couple times a week.
The bit of dry poo in the nail if you get a wet toothbrush and run it through the it, after a bit it will come out.

Some hedgehogs bond and settle faster than others, you just have to patient with them handle them daily you can try talking or singing to them too this gets them used to your voice too which is a good thing.
Eventually she should settle down, shes just scared so give her a few weeks or months.

Mites - For the future for if she gets mites the biggest tell signs are scartching a lot, loads quills falling out, bald spots, also sometimes the bubls (the little balls at the end of the quills) wont be there because the mites chew them off. If you think she has them, put her on a plain black surface and rub her then watch the white flakes that fall any that move after on their own are the mites, in which case you need revolotion treatment which you can get from your vet.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to start swapping the t shirt out, and I'll try to give her foot bath soon to try and do something about those nails!
leah1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in