HELP New Heggie Owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hedgielover411

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face HELP New Heggie Owner

Hi everyone! I am getting my first hedgehog in the next few weeks and I am so excited. But I need LOTS of help.

I have heard lots of different opinions on the best cage, or container to keep them in. So I def. need some advice there because I have no idea what I should do, additionally heating source...

All in all I am a super newbie but I am so so so ready for this journey I just need some coaching!

Thank you!
caramonnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The best thing you can do is read all the threads on the forum, especially the pinned threads. Once you're done that then we can answer any specific questions you may have.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

A couple bucks at the hardware store can get you a long way .-. Hedgies love to run and explore... I tend to oversize things and initially wanted a 12' by 6' pen upstairs but i was restrained xD this one i started with my waifu two weeks ago. Still a little ways to go next paycheck but 6' x 2' seems to give them lots of scuttle room. Dont mind the internal cage, just using that to keep the male and female separate for the next two weeks or so... Because you know... Mini pin cushions :3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15448123447824442496894907657549_1544812365869.jpg (76.1 KB, 35 views)
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Males and females shouldn't be that close together. Your female is going to be constantly ovulating, which is very unhealthy, and the male will become frustrated by that. You need to keep them apart so they aren't able to touch each other.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramonnie View Post
Hi everyone! I am getting my first hedgehog in the next few weeks and I am so excited. But I need LOTS of help.

I have heard lots of different opinions on the best cage, or container to keep them in. So I def. need some advice there because I have no idea what I should do, additionally heating source...

All in all I am a super newbie but I am so so so ready for this journey I just need some coaching!

Thank you!

Welcome to the club! 🙂 I was in your shoes about 8 months ago and I am so excited for you! The cage I got for my Oakley comes highly recommended and is above average for square footage recommendations! (Hogs need lots of space!) This is the cage we got my grumpus:
https://www.chewy.com/midwest-guinea...-pig/dp/131306
(Plus size, of course!)

As for heating, please please get a heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter bulb and a thermostat to go with it! They need 75-78 degrees ideally at all times and a thermostat will guarantee that! You can get a CHE bulb at a pet store but I got mine on chewy here:
https://www.chewy.com/flukers-cerami...tter/dp/129151
(I have used the 100watt and the 150, it really depends on cage size. I use the 150 for my habitat)

The thermostat we got at petco here:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...re-controllers

Also, please consider fleece cage liners! They are environmentally friendly and aid in keeping hedgie warm! Shavings if you buy the wrong kind can cause respiratory problems, and lining your cage with them can be smelly and dirty. But definitely give your baby a little box with paper shavings! Oakley uses his litter box very well, they are easily accustomed to their litter boxes!

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, and good luck with your baby! ♡
OakleysMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

@OakleysMum - I'm Another newbie - I think my cage is roughly the same size as yours - its' 42" X 18 ". Is one 150 watt CHE enough to heat it?
Carrie-NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am heating a 3'x2' with one 150 watt CHE, and have to thermostat control it to keep fro over heat so I would think you could do it.
Hedgiemom25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie-NY View Post
@OakleysMum - I'm Another newbie - I think my cage is roughly the same size as yours - its' 42" X 18 ". Is one 150 watt CHE enough to heat it?
That's close to my cage size! I have one 150watt and one 100watt CHE, and I need them both in the winter because I can not afford to crank the heat in the house and we live in New England. I put one on each side of his cage, and place the hotter bulb under his house and the other near his wheel or he won't run. So I'd say it depends on your room temperature during winter months and how finicky your hog is! If it's too cold in the cage Oakley won't run or be active at all.
OakleysMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I thought I’d leave you a few little tips to help you with your experience

-Hedgehogs need a good size space to move around in. A 3ft by 2ft cage will be enough space for your hedgehog. Also be sure to provide lots of spaces for your hedgehog to hide and sleep in as they do not like to be exposed when they sleep. I find my hedgehog likes to sleep burrowed in towels, so that’s a good option as well.

-Hedgehogs can and most likely will be VERY anti-social. At first don’t be surprised if your hedgehog huffs and puffs at you when you go near him/her. By handling them for about 30 minutes to an hour a day will help them get used to you and bond with you. Let them crawl around on your lap so they get used to you and your scent. If you’re scared to pick him/her up because of their quills, use a towel to lift your hedgehog out of the cage. The best way to pick them up is to use two hands and scoop them up under their belly. Don’t be scared to pick up your hedgehog if their huffing and puffing. It’s just their attempt to scare you away, they won’t hurt you. Most likely within 5-15 minutes of holding them and rocking them gently in your hands, (my hedgehog calms down when I sing to him, but all hedgehogs are different) they should calm down and start to explore. If they try to crawl away, be sure to sit down and let them crawl on your lap.

-It’s a good idea to put a shirt you’ve worn for awhile in their cage to help hem get used to your scent.

-For bedding, you can use either a fleece blanket or wood shavings DO NOT use pine or cedar shavings, as it can be toxic to your hedgehog. I’d recommend using aspen shavings if shavings is the way you want to go.

-Keep in mind that when hedgehogs are on their wheel (a good size wheel is one about 10-12 inches) they will poop ALOT. A good way to clean their wheel is to use unscented baby wipes to clean it up

-If you intend to litter train your hedgehog, keep in mind that while some hedgehogs might catch on quickly, others take a while to grasp the concept, or after having no interest in the litter box may suddenly start using it after a few months, while others never do.

-Be sure to change their water everyday, as stale water isn’t good for them. You can use either a bowl or a water bottle for your hedgehog. It might be a good idea to have both options available for your hedgehog. Ask the breeder what they’ve been doing, but you can train them to do otherwise if you please. (My hedgehog had been using a bowl of water, but after a week or so of giving him both a bottle and a bowl, he decided he likes his bottle much better then the bowl)

-Keep in mind that hedgehogs are nocturnal, so they won’t wake up on their own until it’s dark outside, and will often hide from bright lights.

-Also keep in mind that hedgehogs sleep 18 hours a day, and babies will most likely sleep longer. Don’t be afraid to wake your hedgehog up for playtime, as they might attempt hibernation if left alone for to long, which could kill them.

-For food, cat food is the best food for hedgehogs. It’s a good idea to ask the breeder what kind of food they’ve been givin the hedgehog. For treats, hedgehogs are insectivores, so they like mealworms and crickets. Buy the insects live and put them in the freezer to kill them, as they might attack your hedgehog if they’re alive as defence. Also, fruits and veggies are good treats too. Be sure to look into what foods are safe for them before you give it to them, (when in doubt, apples are a well liked fruit)

-It’s a bad idea to get a hedgehog from a
pet store, as they often don’t know about where they came from, and probably won’t know about their lineage, and might be prone to Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. I’d get your hedgehog from an experienced breeder. Be sure to ask about your hedgehog when you’re adopting you’re new friend.

Hopefully this helped you! Any other questions you may have will most likely be answered in the forum of this page. If not, you can most likely find the answer to your questions by googling them.
Good luck with your hedgehog!!!
Bluegirl likes this.
Hedgielover411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in