Hedgehog Central banner

Pooping Inside Hide

748 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jen P 
#1 ·
Hi, I’m a relatively new hedgehog owner, and I was concerned about my hedgie, Smidge, pooping inside his hide. I saw a previous post about this topic but it was a bit vague and I was hoping to get some clarity. So my hedgehog is still a baby, only coming up on 10 weeks, though I’ve had him for about 3. When I first brought him home, he pooped a few times inside his new hide on the fleece, which is understandable since he was nervous and just introduced to his new environment.

However, since then he’s been good about not pooping inside his hide. But I noticed today, that he had pooped quite a bit inside his hide, more than just a few times. They seem to be normal, healthy poops, dry, no discoloration, no green, no blood. I then picked him up to try and see if he had maybe hurt himself, all seems normal and he’s acting normally too. Anyways, I normally only take him out to bond during the evening but since I was concerned I kept him out after I got off work in the early afternoon, and again, he pooped in his snuggle sack and on me, which hasn’t really happened since I first got him.

Just to clarify, I’ve been trying to think of anything that might have changed in his daily routine in the last few days, but I don’t recall anything out of the ordinary. He did however, annoint himself with my father’s sweater about two days ago? I’m not sure if that would lead to this.

Sorry for such a long post, I was just wondering if this is something serious, or as explained in a previous post, behavior typical to a baby hedgehog. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.