Treats?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Treats??

So ive has skipper for about 10 months now. He is happy, healthy, and snuggly, but he will not eat anything unless it is in his food dish, and even then he will not touch the treats most of the time. He doesn’t like meal works, crickets, or vegetables. Any suggestions as to what I should try, or how I can get him to acknowledge I’m trying to give him a treat?

Christina968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ours loves little shreds of plain boiled chicken at bonding time after 2 mealies of course,and you better not forget her mealies!
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

Try insects like roaches and locusts and hand or tweezer feed them, to start off with Holly would only take any treats in her cage, so I put her back and put the insect out towards her, shes pretty picky likes her crickes but would rather have locusts and roaches over crickets abd grasshoppers. Shes not fussed on meal worms either.

Try hand feeding when hes in his cage, even if he goes straight to his hid just hold them at the entrance, and then slowly try getting him used to taking things downstairs, try it with plain cooled meats like chicken or duck.
When giving treats through bonding time you can try this when hes in his snuggle sack where he'll be comfy and not really scared

You'll get there, trust me Holly was like this to start with and now shes fine with taking food. Any strange or new noises and then she wont it.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

By all means keep trying, but I've never gotten any of my hogs to eat out of anything but their dishes either. I've gotten them to eat a mealworm if it's been cut up but other than that, they've never cared about anything other than their kibble either. We've had some luck with wet cat food, but they're even pickier than cats and those can get pretty expensive to just keep buying and throwing away.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in