I don't know what to do - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I don't know what to do

I love my hedgehog Dexter I really do. I just have no idea how to bond I try and hold him, he's bitten me before and he pees and poos on me every time I hold him, hisses and scrunches up. He isn't potty trained (I've tried) and burrow under his bedding destroying everything and knocking his water and food over and poos everywhere. Another thing he's so fussy he won't eat any fruits or veggies. What do I do?
Edude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

How long have you had him? It is a process and it takes time. First, are you picking him up and holding him around the same time every day? Try to get into a routine. Secondly, try using a fleece lap blanket or a towel so that he can pee and poop there. Hedgehogs usually use the bathroom within 20 minutes of first waking up. Also, I always wash my hands with the same soap before or after holding my hogs. They are used to the smell now and while they scrunch up at first, within a couple of seconds they relax. Hedgies are prey animals. It is a natural defense mechanism to hiss and scrunch. They're scared, that's all. It doesn't mean that they hate us! Try talking to him in a soothing voice too. That way he can get to know your voice and smell. Lastly, fruits and veggies are not staples in a hedgehog diet; they are treats. What you need to be feeding your hedgie is a mix of 2 high quality cat foods and bugs such as mealworms, crickets, silkworms etc.
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

It can take ages for them settle down, and even then you get some that wont.
Dont get disheartened, or give up traying with them. They love u in their own way, they are just scred grumps that wont show u.

Have u tried putting something that smeels like u in cage ?? This works great, and old top or sock, make sure theres not loose threads and change it weekley because it will loose its scent eventually

Its norrmal to get peed and pooed on, specially as we are waking them up, so they will want to go.
I dont properly wake up Holly when I get her, she like half wakes up. I put her in her little spot and shes back to sleep, she doesnt start to wake up until the end of bonding time, and then she pees and poos right at the end.

Last edited by Ria; 12-03-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm fairly new to hedgies also and I felt the same way at first. I wasn't sure if I liked having a hedgie as much as I thought I would at first. Now, about 3 months in I can't imagine being without her.

I found that she does not like being picked up with my hands. But if I dangle her snuggle sack right in front of her when I move her hide she climbs right in. I hold her and snuggle her in her snuggle sack for a while. I hold her in the early morning while I have my coffee and in the evening when im relaxing in my recliner after work.

Sometimes I can put my hand in the sack with her and rub her tummy and she flips over on her back and sleeps. Some days she doesn't want me to ans gets cranky so I let her alone and just sit quietly with her. If she gets busy and wanta out if the sack to run around in my chair with me I know she is going to poo so I have paper towels and wipes next to my chair and I keep a blanket on my lap to keep her from getting it on me directly.

Sometimes she likes to run around under the blanket and tug at my clothing and burrow under my legs.

Its funny because once she settles down I can usually peek at her and she will be stretched out flat like a pancake under my legs. I put my knees up and make a little tent for her with the blankets.

All of this has happened gradually over the months I have had her. It was a solid 2 weeks before I could even hold her in the snuggle sack without her balling up and staying balled up in her bag.

I also noticed that for a bit after her bath she is extra calm and snuggly. She hates the bath but seems relieved when I "rescue" her from the water and hold her close to me in a towel until she is dry.

I'm now trying to bond with a pair of 2 year old hedgies that I adopted a few weeks ago. One of them is calming down a lot and the other is still very defensive but slowly calming down and they are getting the same handling.

I don't know if they will ever be like Kiwi but there is no pressure or set time line.

Hope this helps

G
Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in