new heddgie mom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new heddgie mom

hey there I'm new to this site but have found it soo helpful!! my girl's name is "Princess" I fell in love at fist site so my question is shes always used her hidding but I got her at 6 weeks old and she's now 14 weeks old and for the last 4 days she has not been using her hiding hut at all she has literally moved her food dish and she sleeps with a tshirt of mine shes arranges it beside her hiding hut sleeps on fleece and uses my tshirt as her hiding hut is this normal heddgie behavior??is it just because she's completely comfortable now?? she is my first hedgehog and I did lots and lots of searching before I found my princess I hope this is all part of being a happy healthy heddgie!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181028_141236_1542471010610.jpg (189.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20181012_190443_1542471046472.jpg (92.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20181003_141539_1542471064209.jpg (157.6 KB, 24 views)
princess08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Some hedgehogs do that, just meabs they are comfortable with your smell if it smells like you, also if they prefer that to a hude, you can fleece sacks they can use as hides if she'd rather something like that to sleep in.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess her not using her hiding hut at all and only sleeping in her fleece with my tshirt as her hiding hut now she is beside her sleeping hut I attached a picture I did move her food and water today to see of is would use is so I guess if shes comfortable enough will she not use her hide out?? sorry if it seems like a stupid question I just wanna make sure I do the best job I can I love being a HOG MOM !!! thxs again !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15425712365971257989918656988567_1542571290869.jpg (127.2 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

fleece sack perfect solution just googled and thanks for the idea I just feel like shes maybe not warm enough however her cage is 74 so its cozy!! I think
Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hedgehogs will not use their hide all the time; sometimes they will prefer to sleep somewhere else. Mine & my bf's hedgehog (Leo) sleeps in his hut sometimes, and other times he burrows into his bedding and sleeps under his wheel! Nothing to worry about 🙂
Abster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

I've found Holly sleep in her tube a couple times and shes always at a consistant perfect temperature

You could always move the top so its in the hide a bit, but then stick out,he will just re areange so hes comfy

A lot of people have a few hides. They have their main hide, then a sack as well they get two so one can go in the wash while the other is in use.

Some hedgehogs will chose a tube or under their wheel over their main hide.

Oh also watch that ball, the holes make it dangerous they can get their mouts stuck in them, its okay for when watching but you wouldnt anything happening specially when not watching !!

Last edited by Ria; 11-18-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks sooo much for your feedback very helpful !!! I didn't even think about the holes on the kitten ball thanks for the tip!!! took it out instantly!!! I ordered a fleece snuggle sac from "hedgehog city" I do rotate her fleece and my tshirts!!! I clean her cage daily well clean her mess and wash and fully clean once a week do you think I can start giving her baths?? or is there an age?? I have washed her feet cause she loves her wheel and it's always always messy lol!!!! thanks again everything helps as I'm pretty new Sept 30 2018 us when I adopted "Princess" she was born Aug 22 2018 so she was 6 weeks old when I got her!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181030_194255-EFFECTS_1542629579529.jpg (111.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

The ball, not many people really know about until told.
Theres no specific age for baths, most people wait until their hedgehogs are comfortable and ralxed with them until bathing unless its absolutly needed.
You shouldnt bath them too much, once a month is generally ideal, although some people say only bath when absolutly needed, as baths dry their skin, and lots of hedgehogs hate them and it can stress some.
I only bath Holly when she gets really messy, which since I've had her from June until now has only had 2 actual baths, and a couple foot baths, but as she really hates them we've stopped and just wipe her feet with damp cloth when they get really bad which she still hates but not as much and its easier for me.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

now thank you very much for answering my questions are salt and mineral stones a must?? it's hard to get one straight answer when ya google it lol I haven't tried a bath yet foot baths for sure tho!!! Princess is a mess girl especially when shes on her wheel !!! what about litter pan training that is my next mission for her !! again thanks again for helping me out with my questions !! I appreciate lots!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

They arent a must, actually I was told that the salt is bad for them
You can bath her in just warm water, or add a drop of coconut oil, some people use aveeno baby wash but thats more a uk thing I believe, you can use a drop olive oil or flaxseed oil as well, but these are not a must at all either, although the 3 oils do help with really dry skin !! And if you use any of these when washing you must make sure you rinse it all off properly or it can cause problems.

Litter training is an easy ish thing. So every time she poos else where in the cage just put a bit of this in the litter, this shows her that this where it should go. If your wheel is on a stand having the wheel in the litter can help this too, most hedgehogs treat their wheel like their litter area, so if you have the litter where the wheel is then it encourages them to use the litter more. And some are naturally good and just use it without needing any encouragement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in