My hedgehog is terrified of me - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog is terrified of me

I've had my hedgehog for about a month now and she is still terrified of me. My niece got one in the summer and held her a lot in the first week and she totally relaxed in that time. Ive been trying to do the same thing and she doesn't seem to be getting better. She huffs, goes into a ball every time she sees me. I put her in my hoodie and she seems to settle down a bit but huffs every time I make the slightest move. She hides every time she sees me and won't come out of any burrow in her cage in front of me. She just huffs when I'm near. Any advice? I feel bad that she's so scared all the time. I don't know how to make her feel safe.
Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Some take ages to get used to it. Have you got something that smells like you in the cage like an old top with your scent or something.
Just be slow and patient and eventually you'll get there, try talking to her softly throught the day and bonding time.
All this helped Holly relax with me, and she can still be very huffy at times.
Just keep with the bonding and everything and she'll stop being so scared of you. They are prey animals so you have to be very slow. I noticed the faster I approched Holly the more scared she got. So slow is best.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
I've had my hedgehog for about a month now and she is still terrified of me. My niece got one in the summer and held her a lot in the first week and she totally relaxed in that time. Ive been trying to do the same thing and she doesn't seem to be getting better. She huffs, goes into a ball every time she sees me. I put her in my hoodie and she seems to settle down a bit but huffs every time I make the slightest move. She hides every time she sees me and won't come out of any burrow in her cage in front of me. She just huffs when I'm near. Any advice? I feel bad that she's so scared all the time. I don't know how to make her feel safe.
My hedgie loves to burrow in t-shirts. So I like to rotate a few tshirts after I wear them all day. After I wear it I leave it in his cage so he can burrow in it. It has helped a lot even in a few weeks. Also leaving a radio with him during the day will get him used to the noise so he wont be startled so much. Not loud, just enough where he can get used to noise.
apearce2412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Can confirm with the shirt method. I used it on HeijiSan and she got used to me eventually. Took a lot longer than Gracie or King Robert because some hogs are just grumpigs.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I did the t shirt thing and she used it immediately to wrap herself in. She's been getting better each day with me. She let's me hold her in my hoodie in the evenings and still does the huffing thing but seems to be more relaxed. I think she'll just take more time but relieved to be seeing progress!
Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try picking her up gently, with some gloves if you don't want to get poked. My hedgehog is usually grumpy/drowsy whenever I pick her up, but she comes out of her shell soon after. The first time holding her she was scared at first but then adjusted to me. This might not work if your hedgehog is very timid, but I suggest trying it. Also, I took the gloves off when I held her for the first time so she could smell me.
hedgehogcrazy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

That`s nice that these methods have helped your situation. "Socializing" is difficult for hedgehogs, so yes, it takes time.
RayDay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had both of my boys for months and they still run and hide if I walk by their cages and startle them or something. Try not to get too upset over it. It is their natural behavior to be frightened of animals much bigger than them (in this case, humans hehe). I wash my hands before and after handling them with the same soap and I talk to them in a soothing voice while holding them. It took about 6 weeks for my boy to not ball up when I pick him up. He raises his quills and hisses but relaxes almost immediately in my hands. Also keep in mind that your hedgie might just be grumpy from being woken up!
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in