My parents won't let me get a Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chelspjones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My parents won't let me get a Hedgehog

I've done sooooo much research and I've tried to persuade my parents in me getting a Hedgehog. But my parents are doctors, and since Hedgehogs can carry salmonella they're always like "Salmonella is dangerous you can't get a Hedgehog". Is salmonella a big problem with hedgehogs? If not what should I do to persuade my family?
Parker-Hedgehogssss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My counter argument to them would be: Humans statistically carry more dangerous diseases/infections but you aren't telling me to stay away from other people.

Ive attached another thread from this forum which should help:

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...samonella.html
Kaito the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

Tell them interesting facts about hedgehogs. Then they learn more bout them without wanting to

Could just be saying that because they dont want insects in their house
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know about salmonella and hedgehogs, but what persuaded my parents to let me have a hedgehog was volunteering at a hedgehog hospital to experience what it is like to look after a hedgehog
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

As much as it sucks, there are way too many hedgehogs being re-homed due to not being prepared. Not having the whole house on the same page counts at being unprepared to have one and causes more trouble to the hedgehog that didn't ask for it.
I'm the third home to my little boy and got him at 2 months old. They're great pets, but I consider him a rescue. And they're not easy. Worth it, but not easy.
So wait until they're ready. It's best!
Askeptosaurus likes this.
chelspjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

May just have to wait until you’re on your own. There were animals I wanted as a kid I couldn’t have. I’m nearly 40 and just got 2 bearded dragons and a hedgehog. Sometimes you have to wait.
PurplePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I still live with my mom and it was a several month-long struggle to get her to agree to adopting a pet. She definitely had doubts when we first got our hedgie but she came around when she saw me taking care of the pet. It was definitely an adjustment. Now she loves our hedgie.
I kind of wish I had wanted a pet like this earlier, like back when I was in high school, but I know I wasn't ready for the responsibility then, and neither was my mom/my parents. So yeah, as someone else said, you may have to wait. But when your family comes around, I hope they'll see that it's worth it.
Kolya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

My mum kept saying no as well. So I asked her why she was saying no. And then once we got past that, she agreed to it.

Mostly she said no because of having insects in her house, I made an agreement that she never has to deal with them, or see them.

Also if your parents still have legal responsiblities over you, then its their job to care for you and your pet, like making sure it gets to vets when it needs to. And also money.
If they arent ready to be able to get it to a vet when it needs, or they dont have the money for it, then they wont agree to it until that time.

Try asking them why they are saying no. This is the best way around it.
My mum also asked me why I wanted one and I had to come up with a really good answer. Which I did.

Also another reason for saying no was time, because shes so busy, and I think she was a bit worried at first, but I said she doesnt have to do anthing except hold her a few times when I need to do certain things like going to the toilet and sorting her insects If I take her with me to do the insects she wakes up and becomes a poo monster.

I had to make a load of promises which so far I've kept all of them. And she loves Holly now. Even if Holly thinks shes her litter tray.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in