hedgehog acting weird - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgehog acting weird

so, the past few weeks i’ve been noticing my hedgehog has lost weight and i wasn’t sure if it was hibernation or not. i got him new food, (he’s had it before) and he wouldn’t eat. last night his tummy was cold so i immediately started warming him up again. i set up a better lighting fixture for now until i can get a new bulb. so then i put some water in a little cup and let him drink from it like that. he’s been drinking so much water to where i had to take it away from him because he’s drinkig too much on an empty stomach. i’ve been giving him super worms the past few weeks and he’s been chewing them different. he will eat the insides but not the rest, which is definitely something he normally wouldn’t do. nothing is wrong with his mouth from what i can tell 😕 i can’t take him to a vet, my last hedgehog they had almost killed by giving her a medicine that isn’t suit for them. any ideas on how to help? he’s just acting so weird and he’s only 2 so 😕
millythehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a heat setup? Is he getting a proper lighting schedule? What is the temperature of the cage?

For sudden behavioral changes you must bring him into the vet. Can you find a different vet?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
Do you have a heat setup? Is he getting a proper lighting schedule? What is the temperature of the cage?

For sudden behavioral changes you must bring him into the vet. Can you find a different vet?
sorry i don’t know how to reply on here just yet but i’m getting a new heat set up now, he gets light during the day. i leave my window open because i have a bearded dragon who enjoys it.
and i’ve searched for vets but they’ve never dealt with hedgehogs, the nearest one possible is about 2-3 hours away. 😔

Old 10-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even if it's 2-3 hours away you gotta do what you gotta do.

Window is not sufficient sunlight as weather can effect it and days get shorter. You need to have artificial light (ex: ceiling light, desk lamp, lamps, etc.) as a source of light. Do you have an accurate reading of the cage?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Even if it's 2-3 hours away you gotta do what you gotta do.

Window is not sufficient sunlight as weather can effect it and days get shorter. You need to have artificial light (ex: ceiling light, desk lamp, lamps, etc.) as a source of light. Do you have an accurate reading of the cage?
the thing about the vet is that i’m 17, i can’t drive there. my parents won’t even let me drive an hour away from my house. my parents can’t take me 😕
but, i’ll definitely set a lamp out for him.
i got a 100 watt bulb and on my way home to check on him. last night he seemed more active so hopefully he’s feeling better
Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but it's irresponsible to have a hedgehog if you can't give it the proper care, like a visit to the vet when needed. If this weird behavior persists you need to get him to the vet.

As for the heat it sounds like you're setting up a CHE. If you are, make sure to get a thermostat and that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the cage.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

If nothing changes, tell your parents either they have to drive you or your driving yourself. Because honestly a vet will be able to see if something is wrong, and if medication is needed they can provide it.

I think getting a che will help keep the cage heated. And turning on the main room light in the morning and leaving it on all day until its her wake up, keep this the same all the time so like 7am-9pm all the time. Both these should help keeping out of hibernation

I think though if hes not really eating your best bet is trying to get to the vet because you cant really tell whats wrong and if he needs mediation then you can only really get that from a vet.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but it's irresponsible to have a hedgehog if you can't give it the proper care, like a visit to the vet when needed. If this weird behavior persists you need to get him to the vet.

As for the heat it sounds like you're setting up a CHE. If you are, make sure to get a thermostat and that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the cage.
i get that you’re not trying to be rude, but you have to realize that i’ve tried going to every vet (none of them have ANY experience. they literally just googled it or got a 10 yr old book for instructions) but they nearly killed my last one? i’m 17, i can’t just drive 2 hours away. my parents are strict, i can’t help it. i love my hedgehog more then anything and i really wish i could drive that far to get him help but i just can’t.
he’s gotten better though, i’ve got a thermostat and the cage stays around 70-75ish all day. i’ve been keeping an eye on him.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
If nothing changes, tell your parents either they have to drive you or your driving yourself. Because honestly a vet will be able to see if something is wrong, and if medication is needed they can provide it.

I think getting a che will help keep the cage heated. And turning on the main room light in the morning and leaving it on all day until its her wake up, keep this the same all the time so like 7am-9pm all the time. Both these should help keeping out of hibernation

I think though if hes not really eating your best bet is trying to get to the vet because you cant really tell whats wrong and if he needs mediation then you can only really get that from a vet.
he’s been eating his cat food for the most part but it’s very slow, like he’s trying to get back in the habit of it. i have some type of scentsy warmer by his cage that stays on 24/7 and is really bright so when i leave my blinds open, there’s more light by his cage to help
Old 10-29-2018, 03:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Okay so is the heat seperate from the light yea ??
A che (ceramic heat emmiter) had a ceramic holder with a ceramic heat bulb and a thermostate to keep the temperature right.
And then you have a light source so a lamp by the cage the main room light as well as outside light ?? To be fair I leave my curtains open during the day for light as well. But my main room light is always on so that the light is always definetly there and her days dont get shorter.
Also as coming into winter light outside isnt much, so the additional source of artifical light is great.

I totally get that you cant judt drive your hedgehog to the vet, and perhaps your parents dont want to drive there, but maybe make an offer and say if you drive but one or both of them come with you. This way your not driving 2 hours away without them and they dont have to drive.
Your hedgehog is more than likley going to need to go to a vet, even if its not this time, theres huge chances it will in the future.

Last edited by Ria; 10-29-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in