8 week old fell? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 8 week old fell?

My little guy had a fall today when he was being handled by a child (I was supervising them but I couldn’t grab him quick enough). He fell onto a pile of shredded kitchen roll and newspapers, and I’ve been so worried about him ever since it happened. He’s had a couple little falls since he arrived home over a week ago, where he would just take a tumble onto a cushion or a carpet, but this one has shook me up a bit. It wasn’t the highest drop either, I think just as a first time hedgie mum, I’m a bit unexperienced.
I checked his poop also and it has been a mix between light brown in colour, and the usual dark brown with a slight green tone in colour. He has also just been with us for a little over a week so he is still new to us and very much still a baby. I feel awfully guilty about his fall though.
Help? Thanks guys!
cecehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nothing’s more scary than a dropped hedgehog, and believe me when I say that no matter how many precautions you take, it’s bound to happen one way or another. How is he? Inspect legs and maybe his chest for bruising. Is he eating/drinking alright? Watch out for any possible deviations in his behaviour, and if at any point he’s exhibiting worrisome/abnormal behaviour, then bring him to the vet. It’ll also bring you peace of mind. Remember that hedgehogs are resilient animals, but that also means they’re great at hiding injuries. Just keep a watchful eye on him. I hope you two feel better!!
lilyluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

On a positive note, Hedgehog quills actually act as shock absorbers so they are somewhat resilient to small falls.

What kind of height would you guess the fall happened at?
Kaito the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in