Installing a CHE and toys for a hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MagiQueen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing a CHE and toys for a hedgehog?

Hello! I recently got my hedgie Flora a few weeks ago. I bought her a 60w CHE and another 150 CHE. The 60w worked well when it was a litter hotter outside, but now that our windows are open it is well below 60-70 degrees in my house and the 60w isn't able to keep up. I am trying to use the 150w as of now. Where is the best place to put my thermometer/thermostat I bought for her cage? I places it on the side of the cage, near she sleeps. My father on the other hand thinks putting the probe in her igloo would work better.

My cage is 40.2 by 21.3 by 19.7 inches (LxWxH). It has a mix of care fresh bedding and Kaytees.

As for the toys, I currently have a toilet paper roll, and a cat toy ( a ball. It is covered all around to make sure her feet won't get caught). She also has her wheel so I'm not sure if that counts or not. What toys do you all use???
MagiQueen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

The cage is a bit too small. The minimum required is 8 sq ft. What size dome do you have? The 10 inch ones help distribute the cage evenly. I just place them a little away from the CHEs and the thermometer does the rest of the job.

As for toys what about a dig box and a tunnel? I have those and have some pom poms, popcorn pillows, have that thing that they can drag around, and small stuffed animals.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi!

As squirtle squirt says, the cage is smaller than it should be. I have read on google and people on this site have told me that the minimum size cage for any hedgehog would be 5feetx1.5feet (or 90cmx45cm) as hedgehogs like to walk atleast a good 3 miles every night.

Is Flora a Pygmy hedgehog? If she is, a pulse thermostat would be best for a CHE if you haven't already got one because it releases the heat in bursts quickly and maintains the needed heat/ temperature for your hedgehog. The themostat and CHE should go above the cage, either sitting on top of the cage (if the cage is metal) or hanging above the cage from the ceiling. The bedding sounds good and I don't think there is a problem with it.

About the toys, do you fit them into Flora's cage? If you do, you might want to consider having a separate play pen for her, as there would be more room for different toys and you could also clean your cage while she is in there (my own tactic). You will need to put some floor coverings on the ground because Flora will poop and pee quite a lot in there but otherwise you could add in whatever you like, hides, toys, whatever you think she would like to play with.

You also mentioned you need certain hedgehog toy ideas. You don't need to spend loads of money on toys for Flora as there are lots of different DIY toys you can use. She will be entertained with ping pong ball, other small balls, toilet paper roll or kitchen paper roll or she will even play with toy cars ( they like to push them around). If, for some reason, you can't or don't want to do DIY's ( even though I recommend them) you can buy cheap toys in a local pet store. If there aren't any toys specifically for hedgehogs then you could purchase some rodent toys, but do know that hedgehogs AREN'T rodents, some people get confused with this as they are very similar.

But anyway I am glad you have settled in well with Flora and hope these work for you!
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

A lot of cat toys are great little fish and mice one they lime playong with those, also soft baby toys they like those. And balls. I made Holly some balls. And I’m waiting for the material to make her more.

I have my CHE in the centre with the thermomstate just off center closer to her bed. And the thermometer is at the front to one side of the cage.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My hedgie has a little bell hanging from the top of his cage, he went absolutely nuts with it on his first night at home! He'd nudge it, tug on it, and pounce to make it ring. Be prepared for a lot of noise during the night, though..
Kolya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in