Installing a hedgehog cage on the floor in a closet-like area? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing a hedgehog cage on the floor in a closet-like area?

Emphasis on "Closet-Like" because it is not at all a real closet with doors, but rather just a little section of my room where clothes would be hanging over top.

-Sadly I have no table space for a hedgehog, so if I were to get one, that would be the only option for a cage. I checked the length, width, and height of the area, and it's perfectly big enough for a well-sized cage.

-My clothes hangers are also very sturdy and no clothes ever fall off of them, so that isn't something to worry about. They wouldn't be draping into the hedgehog's cage either.

-My room is very hot in both the winter and summer (top floor of the house!), so there is no draft on the ground. I'd of course make sure to install a high quality heat lamp and maybe even some lighting so it isn't entirely dark.

-I plan on taking out my hedgehog out for bonding time a lot, I'd really not want him to be enclosed in the cage all day. My room and house gets plenty of light.

After doing tons of research I figured that there wouldn't be an issue putting a hedgehog cage here, but I still would really like to make sure if it is okay. Thank you!

Pics of area:
https://imgur.com/a/b55gLmI

I'd of course be taking out the drawers, guitar, backpack, and whatever is in the area!
murr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are the dimensions of your future cage?

Are you planning a DIY cage?

What would be the minimum distance between the floor and the lowest hanging article of clothing?

In addition, Your future hedge must have a light schedule; not an option.

PS - is that an original NES i see in the corner? ;P
Kaito the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito the Hedgehog View Post
What are the dimensions of your future cage?

Are you planning a DIY cage?

What would be the minimum distance between the floor and the lowest hanging article of clothing?

In addition, Your future hedge must have a light schedule; not an option.

PS - is that an original NES i see in the corner? ;P
I haven't figured it out yet! I wanted to make sure the area was good enough before getting into what cage/cage size I want to get.

The minimum distance would be 52 centimetres. (20.5 inches)

I understand. It would be a darker area, not as much so in the daytime at least, but that's a bit of a concern.

And yes! I used to do alot of retro video game collecting. Not as much anymore, sadly. (I need more space for everything!)
murr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tbh the space doesn't look big enough ><. Cage height should be a minimum of 50cm to allow sufficent distance between the floor level and the heat fixture. Also putting a heater in or on top of the cage is too close to your clothes and I'd also worry its a fire hazard, if a piece of clothing did drop off the hanger etc and covered the heater.

You'd be best off rearranging your room to make space, like getting rid of the cabinet by the left wall (or replacing with one you could set the cage on top of) and setting the cage up there perhaps? Use the space under your clothes as storage for things on the shelf instead. The area to the left is much brighter as well, but you'll need an artificial light on too during the day time hours to ensure it is consistent light.

Haha took me ages to spot the NES! I also play and collect retro games and consoles, living in Japan it is so easy to do so but lack of space makes it difficult...
nikki likes this.

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 10-13-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in