New Hedgie mama here and few questions :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zep.The.Hedgehog
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgie mama here and few questions :)

Hello everyone!

So Ive just got my baby love bug Zeppelin (8weeks old) home 3days ago. Poor thing is still adapting but hes not a fan of foothbaths yet hehe. Hes already doing his wheel time, eat and drink properly AND do his business all in one spot! Hope it keeps up nicely like that its going slowly and we learn to know eachother.
Ive already read more than a few threads on here so I hope it hasnt been asked already, but 2 quick questions :

Since the bonding takes a different time for every hedgehog, Im not sure when my process will be strong enough. My bf says he wants to be able to approach him too cause hed love to be able to handle him as well (so far Zep is still huffing and poping towards both of us until he relaxes). But as hes offically my baby, I feel like I should be the one handling him more often, at least for a
few weeks. Unless its better he gets used to both of us at the same time?

And second question, is there anything as too much bonding? I mean I want be around him ALL the time (at least as much as I possibly can of course). Ive been taking him out for a foothbath/post dry paws bonding and a little more around 8pm for a little playtime before putting back in the cage. What do you guys think? Is it too much?

Thanks!!!
Zep.The.Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like he's settling in really well already! ^^

I'd probably keep baths and footbaths to a minimum whilst he is still adjusting to his new environment and owners as this can be quite stressful for them.

With bonding, my boyfriend and I both bonded with our little guy from the first day but just didn't over do it. I do hold him for longer and generally bond more with Yuki haha. I think you'll know when you've had him out for too long as he'll show signs of distress like green mucous poop, biting or just desperately trying to get away from you! This is when you should put him away or ideally before he reaches this stage. I'd keep bonding to just 30 mins during the first week or so and gradually build it up but just go with how he is acting, if 30 mins is too long for him (showing distress signs), just do 15mins and build up.

Sounds like you're off to a great start though so don't worry too much!
lilyluna likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I fully agree with yukidama’s mama!

My boyfriend likes to be as hands on as possible with Lily also, so as much as we can, we give her baths together, clean her cage together, clip her nails together (phew, having one more person with you makes things a lot easier, I tell you! Haha!), and bond with her together, but since I work and study from home, she and I bond more often. For as long as she doesn’t seem distressed when the three of you are bonding (watch out for anxiety poops!), and you don’t do it smack in the middle of the day, then I think it’s okay!

As regards your second question, I know how you feel because I’m always at home and would want Lily to be playing with me every waking moment lol but I can’t do that, so usually I just work on my table and have her in my lap. I would love to take her out more, but I’d also love her to be healthy and happy, so since she needs her sleep, then I have no choice but just let her do that haha. On some days, though, we play for about an hour, sometimes a little bit more.

Have fun!
lilyluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Excellent!!! Yeah I’ll give him a break but he’s such a messy wheel pooper that his paws are a mess everyday lol. Do you guys have any alternate sugggestion to do a quick clean up then? I was thinking simply letting him walk on a soft wet warm towel so most of it can just fall off?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

I wipe Holly’s feet with a bit of warm damp cloth and then dry them right after doing one at a time so they arent wet for long, also we do this while cuddling.
She hates baths, so I had to find a differnt way.
Also baby wipes can work but it depends how poopy their feet are
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

It worked like a charm, thanks Rita 🙂
He even let me PET him today whaoo
Baby steps 🙂
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Whoops I miss read, Ria 🙂
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got Pagne for my boyfriend, but we both want a bond with him. For the most part, our schedules are very different, but when they match up, we do eve with Pagne together, especially baths. We also lay on the bed together with Pagne between us. We think this is the best way to bond with him since the bedroom is quiet and contains both of our scents. Maybe try that.
PiccChicc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Glad it worked for you 🙂

You could try what piccchicc suggested with bonding with the both of you.
I did it slightly differnt but then again shes my pet, and my mum just helps with cutting nails and sometimes holding her.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi! Zep sounds adorable, glad you like him.

I don't think it really matters if you or you and your boyfriend get to know zep first, if he gets to know you he will probably get to know your bf aswell because he will be relaxed. If he does get to know you first tho, its probably best to go in the room with your boyfriend so that the hedgehog feels safe and secure.

And, there really isn't a thing as too much bonding with your hedgie. Seriously, bond all you like, it will only make you two closer <3

Again, so happy your already settling into the hedgehog community with little zep.
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in