Hedgehogs and pets? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lilyluna
  • 1 Post By Ria
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehogs and pets?

Hi again everyone!

Still thinking of getting a hedgehog (view my first upload) and I was wondering if hedgehogs and rabbits get along together? They will both be living outside and my two rabbits will be in a separate hutch where as the hedgehog will just have a little shelter (again is that ok??).

I have read a few forums about rabbits and hedgehogs but I just wanted to be sure about it because I think my situation is different.

I also have a cat that can go outside anytime because we have a hedgehog. My cat won't hurt the hedgehog will it? I have read on google that cats will just investigate but ,again, I want to be sure. My cat hasn't killed any animals so far, and we have had her for about four or five years now. She has brought small mice in though occasionally but only once or twice and she didn't hurt them but what do you think?

Thanks for reading this upload and I would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to respond to my questions.

Hufflepuff Hedgehog
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I’ve never had my hedgehog live with my other pets (she’s with me, the others are with my parents), but I think the hedgehog would prefer an area where he/she would not be too overstimulated, as it might be stressful. Also, by outside, do you mean outside outside, or outside my bedroom outside? Asking because they have pretty specific lighting and temperature requirements.
lilyluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

I was going to ask the same thing, do you mean outside the house or just outside a room. As pygmy hedgehogs need a certain day and night cycle and certain temperatures

I wouldnt put him/her in with the rabbits anyway as it could stress the hedgehog out which wouldnt be good.

Your cat hurting the hedgehog depends on your cat. Let the hedgehog settle into the house and then introduce the cat, with the hedgehog in a safe place so if the cat did try to hurt the hedgehog then neither wont get hurt.
Even if you think that they get on always have this supervised you never know what can happen behind your back, and you wouldnt want any kind of injuries with either of them.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you!
I mean outside like in my back garden. Would that be ok or should I keep the hedgehog inside and just let it out in the day? If he were outside, he would have a little shelter and be on the other side of the garden than from the rabbits.

And I was thinking of getting the hedgehog in the holidays so that we could supervise the meet-ups between my pets and the hedgehog. But my cat wouldn't hurt him if she didn't the first few times they meet would she?

Last edited by hufflepuff_hedgehog; 10-08-2018 at 02:56 AM.
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

How cold is your climate? Pet hedgehogs are kept inside houses where you can regulate the temperature and lighting schedule since they do not have the ability to hibernate safely. Check out the forum stickies (posts pinned at the top of each section) for care information. Heating and lighting are very important aspects to owning a hedgehog.

Also since they are nocturnal animals there would be no point in letting it out during the day time hours, this is when they naturally sleep. If you do ever let it go out, it needs to be supervised and in a safe area. Since they are a prey animal, any large birds will attempt to grab it, plus if you have a cat need to make sure it won't harm it.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Honestly I think you should have it inside, this way you know its always safe from, and you can regulate and day and night cycle and temperature and keep it consistant this way.

The cat may not harm the hedgehog but you should still always be carful, you never know what could happen behind your back.

If your looking for a hedgehog that you just put a hut into your garden and leave food for it then go to a rescue centre and say that your garden is a safe garden that they can be realsed into. A lot of these places are looking for safe gardens to realse the wild hedgehogs back in. Of course though this means you dont handle it, and it doesnt count as your actual pet. But if you want a hedgehog that just lives outside in your garden with a hut that you can feed then this is probably the better option.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I pretty much agree with everyone here. Should you get a *pet* hedgehog, it will need to be kept indoors. You'll have to make sure it's eating, drinking, wheeling, and over all keep its health up. As for your cat, yes, the hedgehog has quills for protection, but never forget, a cat is a predator. You mentioned that your cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, with some mild hunting experience, which, I think would be enough of a reason to keep them separated or under heavy and close supervision.
PiccChicc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in