Reuse Rabbit cage for new Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reuse Rabbit cage for new Hedgehog

Our family is looking to get our first Hedgehog. We found a used rabbit cage that was used to house a rabbit. Would this be OK for a hedgehog, or would there be a smell that can't be washed out that would bother the hedgehog?
danbruski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

It depends. A lot of rabbit cages have ramps though, and hedgehogs are prone to falling and getting hurt. Pictures and the size would help. Also, if your considering feeding live crickets then how far away are the bars?
Apollo_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think your hedgehog would have a problem with the smell of the rabbit although just to be sure, how long has your rabbit been gone and if there is a smell, can you smell it a lot or just a bit?

It also depends on if you have a ramp as well in the hutch. I have two rabbits now that live in a hutch and the ramp is too big for a hedgehog. My rabbits are quite big though, so yet again, it really depends on size of the rabbit and the hedgehog too. If the rabbit was big and the hedgehog is small then the hedgehog would probably end up hurting itself on the ramp and just the cage in general would be too big for the little hedgie.

Could you reply to this with a few pictures of the hutch and maybe the hedgehog and could you also answer the questions so that we know for sure if the hedgie could stay in there.
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use a rabbit cage for my hedgehog. It provides a lot of ventilation and floor space, and is easy to clean. You can't have too big of a hedgehog cage. The more space, the better. However, you don't want to leave the cage completely open -- add lots of places for the hedgehog to hide, since they are very timid.

I'm going to echo everyone else and say that you don't ever want to have platforms. Hedgehogs are extremely clumsy and WILL fall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in