what litter do you use? UK based - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what litter do you use? UK based

Hi all,

I'm Picking up my new spikey bundle of joy on Sunday! She is called Marjorie and is 13 weeks old!

I had a hedgehog boy a few years back, but never litter trained him. Hence, his wheel was his toilet! I wanted to try litter training Marjorie, since she will be much younger than he was when I bought him home.

What kind of litter do people prefer? I've read some sites/books suggesting cat litter, but to avoid litter that clumps? I'm confused!

I've seen litter for hamsters - is that the kind of thing I want? I've also been looking for a suitable tray and struggling in pet stores as all I can find is teeny hamster toilets! what do people use? I thought about getting a shallow baking tin?

Going to be using a combination of cage liners and shredded paper/fleece for nesting. If that makes any difference!

Thanks in advance
Veebs84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Most hedgehogs adapt readily to littler, because they are neat, and most go in one place anyway. You could also put the litter by the wheel if you dont get a corner litter tray. Then not only will it catch anything that may fall off if you have one that comes out enough they will use it.
Whatever you do use should be at least 2 inches deep.

Most hedgehogs will roll around in fresh litter, so henerally people stay away from traditional kitty litter especially clumping or clay based ones. Where they roll it can get stuck they also produce a lot of dust so not the best.
Most people use pellete chaped litters, made from plant matter or newsprint.
You can also use recyled paper bedding this.
If you pick something light in colour it makes it easier to see any abnormalities in colour and consistancy of waste.
Veebs84 likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much Ria for all you answers to my questions over the last few days! I got some recycled paper pellet type litter and a corner tray.Just got her cage all ready but think i might have bit too many things in it! got a bit excited buying things for her to hide in/play with hahaa.
Veebs84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Yea, you could always take a few things out and use as play when you have her out her cage. I did that as well.
If she doesnt use the corner litter tray, you can get one to put by her wheel, I found that Holly has started to just go in front her wheel and isnt going in her actual litter anymore. This comes back to the neat thing and trying to keep it in one place and her waste sorta of falls off in front of the wheel so now shes going there instead but she still like laying in her corner litter tray which I find pretty funny.
I’m glad that I was of some help to you 🙂
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
litter, litter box, litter training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in