New Hedgehog Bonding?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgehog Bonding??

So I just got a hedgehog two days ago and i have been wanting one for like my whole life so its very exciting. She is very sweet when i met her she was so relaxed with the breeder that when she was handed to me she didnt ball up or huff or anything she was completely content being handled even by strangers. Now that I have her home she is much more skittish. Im sure this is because its a whole new environment with all new people. I just feel bad because she wasnt shy at all when i got her and now any little sound or movement and she curls up and hisses. So my first question is should i let her get settled in before i mess with her? I have been briefly handling her. I'll hold her til she uncurls and let her explore a bit and then put her back in her cage. But like i said any sound or movement and she curls right back up. I also was looking at other ways to maybe bond with her and im very confused about bonding pouches. Like should i use a pouch during the day when she's sleeping or at night when she's awake? And how long should she be in there for? Do pouches work better or scarves? I work at home mostly on the computer. I think a bonding pouch of some kind could be beneficial if i could just put her in there and let her get used to me while i work but i dont want to misuse one and end up stressing her out.
177572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

So what I read about bonding pouches I think most people use the during the day, when the hedgehog sleeps. So you sit there with them and I guess talk ??
Anyway I’m not too sure myself as I didnt actually use a bonding pouch. I would sit with Holly on my stomach and fleece blanket over her and she would mostly sleep until she heard sudden noises that werent there. Then she gets a bit huffy and I just talk to her so she knows I’m there, and she calms down.
The other one we do is because it was summer she got a bit too hot on my stomach, so I have this cardigan and she would sit with that shileding light, and cuddle right up against my side next to me on the sofa, and again if she got scared I’d just talk to her to let her know that I’m there.

Also It is recommnded to let the hdgehog have at least 24hours alone in his cage to settle down and check it out. U could put something in there like an old sock made into a ball that has no lose thread or fleece strips or anything you like that has ur scent on, so even when he’s in the cage stettling he can get used to your scent. I put a sock ball with my scent in my hedghogs bed the first few weeks. I changed it weekly cause they were a pair so one got washed and re scented each week to change while the other was in there.

Anyway thats how I bond with Holly. So I hope that helps you a bit at least.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in