Hedgehog Central banner

hedgie in garage??

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shinydistraction 
#1 ·
so my mom likes to keep my house at 70 degrees, obviously this is cold for a hedgie. she has lived in the temp for a little over a year now but as she gets older i don’t want the temp to affect her. i live in canada and it is currently 30 degrees celsius, meaning my garage is a bit colder then that. is ther e any way my hedgie could go in the garage? obviously in her cage and i will have a thermometer beside the cage to make sure it doesn’t exceed 82. my garage has no access to the outdoors so no animals will get in. if someone could give me some advice that would be awesome!! thank you

#2 ·
But what is the night time temperature outside? It may drop too low and you could be risking a hibernation attempt. Also the garage would be dark, you'd need to have an artificial light still during the day so it's not constantly dark in there or keep the garage light on all day.

It would be safer to keep in doors and use a heat lamp (a CHE with a thermostat so it turns itself on and off at the required/set temperature). Depending on what cage you have you can use coroplast or blankets to help keep some heat inside the cage if the house is cooled by an aircon.

#3 ·
the temperature is about 25 at night ( perfect for my hedgie) i also have some fairly light on the cage that turn on at 6pm and turn off at 10pm my garage also has windows so it is light during the day. do u see any other issues that might be present? thank you for the help <3

#4 ·
Ok, so the temp gets to a good point at night right now. But what about in the winter? Canada can get quite chilly from my understanding. So this really wouldn't be a long term solution no matter what.

Other concerns stem on what else the garage is used for. Are cars kept in it? That means your hog will be breathing in car exhaust. Not pleasant at best for people, forget about tiny animals. What's else is stored in there? Often garages are used to store things like paint, motor oil, insecticides, weed killer etc. Basically things that give off nasty smells and fumes especially combined with a hot garage in the summer. Is the garage used as a workshop? Tons of loud noises, and sometimes accidents happen. We're not even talking about the poor airflow (if there's any at all) and poor insulation garages tend to have. Garages often don't have heating or cooling in addition to only have a little bit of insulation compared to the rest of the house. Bad airflow plus hedgehog poop is not a good time.

I would encourage you to take yukidama's mamas advice on this. Get a thermostat and a ceramic heat emitter bulb and appropriate lamp. Warming the cage a few degrees this way is far easier and much safer than putting your hog in the garage. You'll have a little bit of upfront expense, but the thermostat and lamp likely won't need replaced, and the ceramic heat emitter bulbs have a very long life span. Best of all, you'll have peace of mind knowing your hog is warm and safe and happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.