Ways to save money on hedgie supplies - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ways to save money on hedgie supplies

So I will be getting a hedgie pretty soon (within a couple months) and I need to know how to save some money on initial supplies. Recurring costs like food shouldn't be a problem, and my parents have agreed to cover vet costs when they come up. I have about $75 saved up right now that can go to my hedgehog's supplies, but how much more I'll be able to get I'm not sure. The cage situation is already figured out, so that won't be included in the $75. Are there ways to cut costs or places online to buy things cheaper than average? I want to make sure I can properly care for my future hedgie, but I don't want to spend a fortune to do so if you know what I mean.

I really appreciate your help, thanks for any advice!
HockeyHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Things like toilet paper tubes are good toys for hedgehogs and easy to acquire. Unfortunately hedgehogs have heating requirements that are a bit on the pricy side and heating is not something you want to cut costs on. You can get a pretty good CHE set up for about 75 dollars. Hedgehogs need a wheel, a water bottle, food bowl and “hiding place” in their cage. A nice water bottle is about 10 dollars but you can buy a cheap plastic one for less at your local pet store, a hiding place will cost about 5 dollars but you can make one yourself with an empty tissue box. You’ll also need a 12 inch flat bottom wheel which you can find for 20 dollars on Amazon.
HedgieLover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgieLover53 View Post
Things like toilet paper tubes are good toys for hedgehogs and easy to acquire. Unfortunately hedgehogs have heating requirements that are a bit on the pricy side and heating is not something you want to cut costs on. You can get a pretty good CHE set up for about 75 dollars. Hedgehogs need a wheel, a water bottle, food bowl and “hiding place” in their cage. A nice water bottle is about 10 dollars but you can buy a cheap plastic one for less at your local pet store, a hiding place will cost about 5 dollars but you can make one yourself with an empty tissue box. You’ll also need a 12 inch flat bottom wheel which you can find for 20 dollars on Amazon.
Thank you! Yeah, I don't want to cut things that are super important, but I was able to find 2 CHE bulbs, a dome, a thermometer, and a thermostat on Amazon for about $45, so I would call that a steal. And yes, DIY toys for sure! Although I'll probably pick up some cat balls and matchbox cars from Dollar Tree, after that DIY toys are going to be my go-to. As of now, my Amazon list is about $180 or so, and I have $75 plus another $30 I'll be getting soon, so it's not unreasonable by any means, I just wanted to see if there were any ways I could save some $ here and there, because it will add up. Would it be cheaper to actually make the wheel? I've seen some people do that, but I'm not sure if I should find something to use as the bucket part of the wheel and make one myself or just buy a Carolina Storm.

Thank you again for your advice, I will certainly use some of your tips!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Water bottles are not recommended for hedgehogs. Bowls for water are much better and allow the hedgehog to drink in a normal position and therefore they drink more from a bowl than a bottle.
autumnfox likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I mean I have no idea how to DIY make a wheel but if you can I mean go for it. It’s very important that it’s 12 inches big with a flat bottom and if materials cost more than 20 dollars just buy one. You got a CHE setup for very cheap, did you get a brooder lamp? Most are not fit to handle a CHE and will probably cause a fire. Another thing is that make sure your CHE actually has a ceramic socket not a plastic one.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a huge debate on water bottles or water bowls. The reason I’m with water bottles is that hedgies knock over their bowls a lot and make a mess with them. However there have been some occurances where hedges have broken their teeth on the bottles.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I have had up to 30 hedgehogs at one time and have always used bowls. As long as you use a heavy bowl they don't dump them and don't make a mess. I would rather make sure my hedgehogs were drinking a sufficient amount and were comfortable while drinking than use a bottle.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you both! I was planning on using a bowl, since 9 times out of 10 they are cheaper, and the debate over whether bottles are suitable alone would push me toward bowls anyway. As for the heating, I don't think I got a brooder lamp, as it wasn't advertised as one, but I can link it below anyway so you can tell me, because I have no clue XD

https://www.amazon.com/8-5-Inch-Refl...rds=clamp+lamp
Old 05-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

It’s not a brooder lamp which is good however it doesn’t have a cermaic socket which is a fire hazard. I’d suggest a zoo med clamp lamp with a ceramic socket
Old 05-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

The lamp you posted is not rated for a CHE and will be a fire hazard. You need a lamp that says right on the box that it can be used for a CHE. Not all lamps with ceramic sockets are safe with a CHE.
shetland likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in