New Hedgehog Owner. Please Critique! All Advice welcomed 🙂 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgehog Owner. Please Critique! All Advice welcomed 🙂

Hello Everyone! Just yesterday I had brought home my very first ball of quills and love. I had done quite a bit of research on what he would need, temperament, just the whole sorts.

His name is Shaymin, and he's just about 11 weeks old. I have him in a 3.5ft. X 4.5ft. Cubes & coroplast cage. I have fleece lined his cage as well as added a bunch of shredded fleece strips.

He's been using his wheel very frequently! I did a bit of research figuring out what his diet should be. The breeder had him on Purina Pro plan (Savor) formula. And the mix I've created is Chicken Soup for the soul (hairball/ senior formula) , and Natural Balance Pea and Duck formula. Coming out to be a balance of 31% protein, 13% fat, 6% Fiber, 10% moisture. There's Lamb, Salmon, Chicken, Duck, and one other meat I believe. I had heard having good variety of proteins can encourage a better eating behavior. I started mixing foods only adding 20% the mix I created, and everything else what he was already eating (the Pro Plan).

As of Right now he's eaten a little bit of kibble I've placed in his snuggle sack, (nothing out of his food dish) and a little bit of Peach baby food, (he mostly self- anointed). I tried feeding mealworms and he totally ignored me LOL. I just want some opinions. Making sure I'm doing everything I can possible. I have a CHE plugged into a thermostat so his cage is always somewhere around 74- 78 degrees. Feel free to please ask questions and comment! Any critique, or advice is helpful! Thank you so much!
MichaelSpies17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

UPDATE: This morning he has eaten kibbles out of his dish! And also eaten the piles I placed in his sleeping spots! There was no sign of loose/ green stools, (look king regular), and he's of course napping at the moment. I believe he might have had a water bottle before, which is why he might be ignoring the water dishes. But none - the - less! He has eaten, and ran himself tired on his wheel. 🙂 Hope to hear back any advice, or any good tips I may not know! Thank you all very much!
Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is my set-up, I have a fleece cozy tunnel, and a Big Fleece mushroom bed coming in the mail currently, but that is all that’s missing at the moment! He’s currently using the teepee, as a hideaway. 🙂 and here’s a picture of my baby eating Peach baby food 😄

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in