New Owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile New Owner

Hello!
my name is Gabe
2 days ago i bought my very first Hedgehog!
His name is Ayumi!
i made his house with a plastic trasnparent box
under it i put old newspapers
i got him one of those refill water thingies but he drinks from under it in a plastic little bowl i got
i also used a plastic lid to put his food, im feeding him mazuri
i used an old shirt of mine so he cuddles with it
and he plasy with toilet paper rolls

he seems young, he looked younger than the other ones at the store

He is really friendly (?) he lets me hold him and he likes walking around on my hands and sniffing

he walks around the box eats drinks plays and then he sleeps

according to my phone the temperature is 27 C (80.6 F)

My questions are:

Is his housing alright?

Should i let the food bowl inside the box or whats a good schedule to let him eat?

Is it alright how he sleeps and just turns into a ball so much?

is the temperature alright?

I live in mexico and my english is not so good
i really want to take care of my hedgie
Rabit_A27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

The temperature is a little bit too hot. It should be between 72-80 degrees F. Try to aim around 76.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfox View Post
The temperature is a little bit too hot. It should be between 72-80 degrees F. Try to aim around 76.
I will try!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ayumi is just adorable!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

He does look young!
I dunno where he was bred, but I live in Thailand and it's a cold day when it gets down all the way to 27. Usually 30-33. Sometimes up to 35. We have 4 hedgies and they don't seem to mind at all. They run all night no problem. Yes, they like to sleep during the day. Sometimes in their coroplast boxes I made them, and sometimes under the old pillow stuffing or newspaper strips that I keep in their box. Yes, all you detractors... 3 of them live together and get along fine. Mom has her own little place and seems to like it that way.
They all have food and water at all times. Crickets are a daily treat that they come running for.
Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzz View Post
He does look young!
I dunno where he was bred, but I live in Thailand and it's a cold day when it gets down all the way to 27. Usually 30-33. Sometimes up to 35. We have 4 hedgies and they don't seem to mind at all. They run all night no problem. Yes, they like to sleep during the day. Sometimes in their coroplast boxes I made them, and sometimes under the old pillow stuffing or newspaper strips that I keep in their box. Yes, all you detractors... 3 of them live together and get along fine. Mom has her own little place and seems to like it that way.
They all have food and water at all times. Crickets are a daily treat that they come running for.
i dont know where he was breed either.... but here is kind of hot at 27 i already lowed the temperature to 24 to be safe tho.
Thats so cool! i want to get more hedgies too!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Scuzz,
I would not recommend putting hedgehogs together for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is alright if they are females and were raised together, but it is typically not recommended as they CAN still hurt each other. Hedgehogs living together peacefully for a long time CAN become aggressive suddenly with no warning and then will no longer be peaceful. Males should never EVER be housed together as they will fight to the death. And males+females should only be put together for a short time when trying to have babies, as the male can become aggressive after.

Scuzz, are all of the hedgehogs female?
nikki likes this.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabit_A27 View Post
i dont know where he was breed either.... but here is kind of hot at 27 i already lowed the temperature to 24 to be safe tho.
Thats so cool! i want to get more hedgies too!
It's about the same temp here in Tokyo already! My boy does ok with slightly higher temps, his cage is around 26C atm but last summer it got as hot as 30C in his cage, when the outside temp was 36C! I used ice packs wrapped in cloth hand towels to help bring his cage temp down. I placed the ice packs on top of the cage and he would normally go lay under the spot they were placed at, I had to change them about 2-3x times a day. They can handle high temps (35C being the absolute maximum but I wouldn't let it get much higher than 30C to be on the safe side) more than low temps (23.5 is the recommended lowest), which are more dangerous for them. Of course keep an eye out for any splatting (laying on stomach with arms and legs stretched out) as this is a sign they're too hot. Another good thing to buy is a ceramic floor tile (DIY store) or a terracotta pot which are naturally cooler to the touch and they can lay on/in them when they feel too hot. The tile always makes my boy pee though lol ><

Also Gabe, it would be worth buying a digital thermometer to put inside his cage area (they have a probe you can hang inside the cage) as the room temp can differ to the temp in his actual cage. You can buy them in reptile sections and Amazon sells cheap ones, if you have access to their website in Mexico?

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 05-04-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfox View Post
Scuzz,
Scuzz, are all of the hedgehogs female?
Yes, all are female.
One thing I have noticed is that Mom is a stout Albino, and the 3 kids are totally different sizes. One is (hmmm... how can I put this...) OK, fat. One is
What I consider overweight, and one is skinny. When I took a good look at them the other day, the "skinny one" I would consider normal in any other situation. I guess it's in the perception. Fat is the new normal?
Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
first hedgehog, first time owner, new owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in