Hedgehog acting REALLY wierd!! Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hedgehog acting REALLY wierd!! Please help!

So basically I gave my hedgehog a bath for the first time in a while yesterday, and usually, she is very calm and manageable doesn't hiss, pop, and any of that but today was very different. When I put her in the bath she was very scared and tried to get out of the bath (it was only up to her feet). I did do something different to the water this time because I added the Aveeno baby oatmeal packet to the bath. But the was it. I did pour water on her back and cleaned her with a toothbrush because it has been a while since her last bath. When she got out she was hissing and popping and jumping/running so I was very concerned already. I put her in a warm blanket to dry off and calm down for a bit but even when I wasn't touching her or near her, she was still growling and popping. Now it is the next day and she is still acting very strange when she is awake. She is shaking off every couple of minutes and itching herself and she seems very frantic still. I am wondering if maybe she had an allergic reaction to the Aveeno oatmeal packet (which I have used before and she was fine) or maybe she has mites? I'm not quite sure but I am VERY CONCERNED! Please help thank you sorry for the very long paragraph I'm just very nervous.
Winniethehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey is it possible that you’re interacting at the wrong time of day? I mean think about it if you were woken up and thrown into a body of water one day, and then, woken up early the next day you may act kind of weird too! Lack of beauty rest is a serious issue! I’d suggest giving your hedgie a day without interrupting his/her normal (nocturnal) sleep pattern. Don’t try to interact with him/her till like 10pm. See if this helps with the irregular behaviors and if not consider consulting a vet or just see what other members suggest!
Hope this helps!
Sincerely,
Ashlyn and Pinecone
ALeamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

She may not like the oatmeal bath residue on her skin. Give her a bath in just clear water to rinse off any that may remain on her. The packets are meant to be used in a bathtub of water so a whole package in a sink is a lot. Next time just sprinkle a teaspoon or so of the powder into the water so it's not so strong.
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bath, health, help please, mites

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in