Play Time and the Cold - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Play Time and the Cold

So I'm a new hedgehog mommy and I'm a little shocked by how serious hibernation is and how easily they can do it! Her cage is warm; I use a heat lamp and keep it between 72-80 degrees, but I worry about when I take her out to play. I naturally like cool temperatures, so I never turn on the heat (the room stays about 68-70 degrees these days in winter). Actually, above 72 is too hot for me!
I've been turning on the heat when I'm going to play with her (ie, in a bigger pen on the floor), but this is really jacking up the bill! I can afford it, but of course I would rather not. Also, I have floor heating (this is what is used in Korea, which is where I'm located), and it takes a while to heat up. If I take her out before the room temp has reached 72-80 degrees, will she attempt to hibernate? Or is it absolutely crucial that I wait until it has warmed up first? It all seems so delicate! I'm always stressing if it is too cold!
autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Are space heaters an option? You could try using a small one to warm the play area before/during play time & that might be cheaper than turning up heating for your whole place.

Hibernation is mostly a risk with longer term cool temperatures rather than exposure for a short time during play time - the main concern with shorter term cool temperatures is possible respiratory infections.

Another option is making sure you have a rug or blanket down on the floor, if it's a hard floor that tends to be cooler. If she's running around & the temperature is around 70F, she should stay fine unless she's particularly sensitive.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, space heaters are an option but don’t hedgehogs have issues with dry skin? I worry that would really cause her skin to get dry.
And I didn’t know that it is mostly long term which can cause issues! I thought that if she was in air below 72 for even a minute there was a possibility of hibernation. I guess I can relax a little, but still be wary of her getting sick.
Thanks for the advice/help!
autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cold, hibernation, playtime, winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in