Too much wheel time? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much wheel time?

I'm wondering if a hedgehog can run TOO much on the wheel. Mine is 12 weeks old and I've had him for a new days. Since I'm nocturnal myself; I know exactly what he does. He's been running on his wheel for almost 8 hours straight in there. He is either dead asleep or in constant motion. I'd say I've got a "runner" for sure!
TzusnHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Too much wheel time?

Sometimes a hog will run till it's feet bleed, if this happens remove the wheel for a day or two to give the feet time to heal up, they heal quickly.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had no idea that they could run until their feet bleed! I also read that you aren't supposed to put the wheel in their cage for the first couple of days, because it's too much stimulation. I can definitely see where that was true with Caramel. I think he's going to spend a little more time eating a drinking. I'm only going to leave his wheel out for half of tonight. Thanks again for the head's up about their feet! I would have really freaked out if I saw blood all over his wheel!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

If he truly is that hyperactive, I wouldn't take out his wheel. Because he may try to climb, and if he can't climb, he may run laps around his cage, possibly rubbing his nose raw as he drags it along the bars/wall.

Your better bet is just to introduce a higher fat food to assure he maintains a good amount of fat and doesn't just get burned off.

You can try different environmental enrichment things to do. Hiding kibble in random places, give him stuff he has to work at in order to get to the food, then he should take time away from the wheel as well.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice! He actually is a climber. I have a guinea pig style cage and sometimes he starts climbing. He gets to the top and then kind of slides down and falls. I gave him a double layer of shavings to cushion his fall and the breeder told me it was fine. I definitely don't want him rubbing his nose raw!

I think I have an ADHD hedgehog! He'll run for almost 8 hours, do a little climbing, laps around the cage, and then go to sleep, without taking time to eat or drink. I also put him on my lap in a blanket and he climbs all over the loveseat. The problem is that he wants to jump off. So I put him on the floor to run around, but he just hid under stuff. I understand since he's really new here. I was just trying to give him another outlet and it didn't work. I can hide some kibble around the cage, but I don't think he's going to be interested. (I'm still going to try it though)

I'm definitely having an issue getting him to eat and drink. The first night he was here, he ate the breeder's cat food just fine and drank a lot. I use purified water, so it doesn't have any kind of strange taste. The second night he didn't eat or drink anything. Then last night it looked like he wasn't going to get again, so I added a mix of freeze dried bugs that I bought. He dove right in and ate the mealworms, a whole grasshopper and maybe a cricket with a vengeance! He still has his mix that the breeder was feeding, but I think I heard him crunching on maybe one kibble. (I'm basically nocturnal myself, so I know everything he's doing).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

A better option for dealing with the climbing is to modify the cage with zip ties and coroplast ("corrugated plastic"; basically plastic sign board) or something similar. 8" walls minimum of solid walls is suggested to prevent climbing.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Luckily he only did it that one day! He is just the most hyperactive little monkey I've ever seen! lol Just wanted to update also that he's eating very well know. That was something I was worrying about, so I'm extremely relieved!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mine runs a lot too, it's pretty crazy hearing that thing all night long! His feet did bleed, and just a warning, but when they bleed, they bleed A LOT. Don't get freaked out like I did! A bit of regular strength neosporin (not pain reliever or any other kind!) and a few days without the wheel oughta do it. I put the wheel back in too soon and they bled again :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in